GUILT-FREE GARLIC PARMESAN ZUCCHINI NOODLES PASTA
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 8 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Yield: Makes 4 Servings
|4 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds)|
|3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|1 tablespoon minced garlic (3 to 4 cloves)|
|1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you like the pasta|
|2 medium tomatoes, chopped, see note (about 12 ounces)|
|1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving, see notes for alternatives|
|1 cup basil leaves, torn into pieces|
|1 teaspoon cornstarch|
|2 teaspoons cold water|
|Salt, to taste|
- Trim and spiralize the zucchini (see notes below for doing this without a spiralizer). Then cut the spiralized zucchini into long noodles to be about the length of spaghetti.
- Add olive oil, garlic, and the red pepper flakes to a large, deep skillet. Turn to medium heat. When the oil bubbles around the garlic, add the zucchini noodles.
- Toss the noodles with pasta tongs and cook until al dente — they should be wilted but still have a crunch; 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the noodles cook any longer, or else they will become mushy. As they cook, keep tossing so that all the zucchini noodles have a chance to hit the bottom of the skillet.
- Stir in the tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese, and then cook for one minute. Use pasta tongs to transfer the noodles, tomatoes, and basil to a serving dish. Leave the liquid in the skillet.
- Bring the liquid left in the skillet to a simmer.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl, then whisk into the simmering liquid. Cook while whisking until the liquid thickens to a sauce; about 1 minute. Taste the sauce and season with salt.
- Pour the sauce over the zucchini, tomatoes, and basil. Finish with more parmesan cheese on top and serve immediately.
ServingSize 1/4 of the recipe, Calories 197, ProteinContent 10.7 g, CarbohydrateContent 11.2 g, FiberContent 3.4 g, SugarContent 1.7 g, FatContent 14.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 3.4 g, CholesterolContent 7.2 mg, SodiumContent 471.4 mg