CREAMY MAC AND CHEESE | UMAMI
Provided by: Mark Hinds
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
|1 pound campanile pasta|
|4 cups milk|
|6 tbsp butter|
|6 tbsp flour|
|1/3 cup shallot|
|1 cup pepper jack cheese (divided)|
|2 cups cheddar cheese (divided)|
|4 oz goat cheese|
|1 tsp salt|
|1/2 tsp pepper|
|1/2 tsp paprika|
|1/2 tsp mustard powder|
|1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg|
- Start by bringing a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. When the water is ready to cook the pasta for 10 minutes. When the pasta is finished cooking drain the water and set it aside.
- While the water is coming to a boil, mince the shallot, and shred the cheddar and pepper jack cheese. Set aside a 1/2 cup of the pepper jack and cheddar cheese for a finishing touch.
- To make the cheese sauce create a roux by melting the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. As the butter starts to melt whisk in the flour and continue whisking until the roux turns a light brown.
- Add in the shallots and the milk and continue to stir lightly for five minutes until the mixture starts to thicken. The sauce may feel a little lumpy because of the shallots.
- After five minutes or so add in 1 1/2 cups of cheddar, a 1/2 cup of pepper jack, and the goat cheese. Also add in the salt, pepper, paprika, mustard powder and the freshly grated nutmeg.
- Continue to cook the cheese sauce on medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring regularly, until the sauce has thickened.
- Bring everything together by folding the pasta into the cheese sauce. Pour the mac and cheese into a large baking dish and sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Finish the creamy mac and cheese by putting it under the broiler for five minutes or until the cheese on top has some color.
What is the best way to cook macaroni and cheese?
Cook the macaroni. Slightly undercook your noodles (about 1 minute under al-dente). Drain and set aside. Make the roux. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Blend in the flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes. Add milk and cheese. Stir in milk and half and half, slowly, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
What is classic homemade Mac and cheese?
Classic Homemade Mac and Cheese made with bite-size pasta, cheddar cheese, and a simple creamy sauce all baked to perfection in the oven. This recipe includes tips, tricks, and photos for making PERFECT baked mac and cheese. This mac and cheese recipe has many similarities to another of my favorites; One Pan Baked Ziti.
How do you make southern Mac and cheese?
Add milk or heavy whipping cream slowly while stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings after removing them from heat. Stir in shredded cheddar until melted before adding other desired toppings. African American grandmas and moms have been producing great pots of soul food Southern mac and cheese for years!
How do you make a Mac and cheese sauce for noodles?
Whisk until the cheese has melted. Add granulated garlic, hot sauce, and salt and pepper to the cheese sauce. Mix well. Finally, mix your mac and cheese sauce recipe with 1 lb. of noodles and enjoy! This mac and cheese sauce is for 1 lb. macaroni noodles.