THAI STEAK AND NOODLE SALAD RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Hillstone Restaurant Group
Yield: 4 Servings
|1 ½-inch piece ginger, peeled, finely chopped|
|¼ cup soy sauce|
|3 tablespoons raw sugar or light brown sugar|
|2 tablespoons fresh lime juice|
|1 tablespoon fish sauce|
|½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|½ teaspoon garlic powder|
|¼ cup olive oil|
|1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil|
|¾ pound filet mignon steaks, 1 inch thick|
|¼ cup fresh lime juice|
|¼ cup hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)|
|¼ cup peanut oil or vegetable oil|
|2 tablespoons fish sauce|
|2 tablespoons sugar|
|1 tablespoon honey|
|1 garlic clove, finely chopped|
|Kosher salt (optional)|
|2 ounces dried ramen or lo mein noodles|
|½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil|
|1 large mango, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|½ bunch arugula, stems removed, leaves torn|
|½ bunch watercress, tough stems removed|
|2 medium carrots, finely shredded on a mandoline or a box grater|
|2 scallions, chopped|
|2 cups finely shredded savoy cabbage|
|1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved|
|1 avocado, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|½ cup chopped cilantro|
|½ cup torn basil leaves|
|¼ cup torn mint leaves|
|¼ cup crumbled toasted unsweetened coconut flakes|
|¼ cup finely chopped salted, roasted peanuts, plus more for serving|
|Lime wedges (for serving)|
- Whisk ginger, soy sauce, raw sugar, lime juice, fish sauce, pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl until sugar is dissolved. Whisking constantly, gradually add olive oil, then sesame oil. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag and add steaks. Close bag, pressing out air, and turn steak to coat. Chill at least 6 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. (Alternatively, heat a grill pan over medium-high.) Remove steaks from marinade and pat dry. Season very lightly with salt. Grill, turning every 2 minutes, until lightly charred all over and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of each steak registers 120° for medium-rare, 8–10 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting into 1″ pieces.
- Do Ahead: Steak can be grilled 1 day ahead. Let cool; cover and chill. Cut just before serving.
- Whisk lime juice, chili paste, peanut oil, fish sauce, sugar, honey, and garlic in a small bowl to combine. Taste and season with salt if desired.
- Do Ahead: Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Cook noodles in a small pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and run under cold water to stop cooking. Toss with oil in a large bowl. Add mango, arugula, watercress, carrots, scallions, cabbage, tomatoes, and dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt if desired. Add steak, avocado, cilantro, basil, mint, coconut flakes, and ¼ cup peanuts. Gently toss just to combine.
- Divide salad among plates, piling as high as possible. Top with additional peanuts and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
RECIPE: THAI GRILLED STEAK SALAD | KITCHN
Provided by: Anjali Prasertong
Categories: Main dish,Lunch,Dinner,Salad
Total time: 0S
|1 1/2 pounds rib-eye steak|
|1/4 cup lime juice|
|2 to 4 tablespoons fish sauce|
|1/2 teaspoon sugar|
|1 small head lettuce|
|1/2 cup mint leaves|
|1/2 cup cilantro leaves|
|1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced|
|1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved|
|1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced|
- Season the steak with salt and set aside. Heat a gas or charcoal grill, or grill pan, over high heat until very hot. Brush the steak with oil and grill to desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, and sugar. Dip a piece of lettuce in the dressing and give it a taste; add more fish sauce or other ingredients to taste.
- Tear the lettuce into bite-sized pieces and place in a large mixing bowl. Roughly tear the mint and cilantro and add to the bowl. Add the cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion.
- Trim away any excess fat from the steak and thinly slice across the grain. Pour the accumulated juices into the lime-fish sauce dressing and mix. Drizzle 4 tablespoons of dressing over the lettuce mixture and toss. Taste a lettuce leaf and add more dressing if needed.
- Divide the salad between four plates and top each serving with the sliced steak. Drizzle a little more dressing over the steak before serving. (There will most likely be some dressing left over.)
SaturatedFatContent 7.6 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 0.0 g, CarbohydrateContent 4.3 g, SugarContent 2.0 g, ServingSize Serves 8, ProteinContent 16.9 g, FatContent 19.5 g, Calories 256 cal, SodiumContent 577.4 mg, FiberContent 1.1 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg