EASY INSTANT POT BEEF STEW RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE PRESSURE COOKER …
Provided by: Kelly
Categories: Main Course
Total time: 43 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|1 1/2 – 2 pounds beef chuck roast (, trimmed and cut into 1 – 2 inch chunks (OR beef stew meat if you can’t find chuck roast))|
|1 -2 teaspoons sea salt|
|1/2 teaspoon black pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon onion powder|
|2 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning (, divided)|
|1/3 cup flour (, use gluten free as needed or 2 tablespoons almond flour for keto)|
|1 medium onion (, cut into large chunks)|
|3-4 cloves garlic (, minced)|
|6 Tablespoons tomato paste|
|2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine|
|4 medium Yukon potatoes (, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks (sub with turnips (or large cauliflower florets for low carb / keto))|
|1 large sweet potato (peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks (sub with pumpkin for low carb / keto))|
|3 medium carrots (, peeled and cut into thick slices (leave out for low carb / keto))|
|2 ribs celery (chopped)|
|1-2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce|
|1 bay leaf|
|4-5 cups beef broth (, homemade or low sodium)|
|water as needed to cover the vegetables|
|1-2 Tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (for garnish)|
|1/2 star anise (, optional but adds SO much depth and flavor)|
|salt and pepper to taste|
|Make a slurry with 2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour|
|Instant Pot (, I have the 6 Quart DUO PLUS)|
- In a large zip-top bag, combine flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Add meat and shake until well coated.
- Browning the meat: (feel free to skip to step 5 and add all the ingredients together instead). Set the Instant Pot to SAUTE, add cooking oil and brown the meat on all sides. Meat will not be cooked through. (Be sure not to crowd the pot – you may have to work in batches). Transfer browned meat onto a large plate.
- Place the pot back in the pressure cooker and add onions and garlic and sauté for a minute or two then add the balsamic vinegar and tomato paste until just hot enough to deglaze the pot, about 1 minute.
- Add the beef back into the pot along with potatoes, sweet potato, carrots, celery, Worcestershire sauce, the remaining 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, bay leaf, beef broth and (star anise if using). Stir to combine. If there is not enough liquid to cover the vegetables, add water – only as much as needed.
- Cover and seal the lid and set to 20 minutes with High Pressure on Manual mode. Allow the pressure cooker to release naturally for at least 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper if necessary (discard bay leaf and star anise if used). Serve hot with fresh parsley.
- TO THICKEN STEW (OPTIONAL):
ServingSize 1 serving, Calories 175 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 22 g, ProteinContent 4 g, FiberContent 4 g, SugarContent 3 g