HUMMINGBIRD NECTAR RECIPE | SMITHSONIAN MIGRATORY BIRD CENTER
Provided by: Gregory Gough
Total time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
|Water: 4 parts|
|White sugar: 1 part|
- Mix 1 part sugar with 4 parts water (for example, 1 cup of sugar with 4 cups of water) until the sugar is dissolved.
- Do not add red dye.
- Fill your hummingbird feeders with the sugar water and place outside.
- Extra sugar water can be stored in a refrigerator.
- Change feeders every other day and thoroughly clean them each time to prevent harmful mold growth.
SUGAR COOKIES RECIPE | ALTON BROWN | FOOD NETWORK
Provided by: Alton Brown
Total time: 2 hours 24 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 9 minutes
Yield: about 3 dozen-2 1/2 inch
|3 cups all-purpose flour|
|3/4 teaspoon baking powder|
|1/4 teaspoon salt|
|1 cup unsalted butter, softened|
|1 cup sugar|
|1 egg, beaten|
|1 tablespoon milk|
|Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough|
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl. Divide the dough in half, wrap in waxed paper, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sprinkle surface where you will roll out dough with powdered sugar. Remove 1 wrapped pack of dough from refrigerator at a time, sprinkle rolling pin with powdered sugar, and roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick. Move the dough around and check underneath frequently to make sure it is not sticking. If dough has warmed during rolling, place cold cookie sheet on top for 10 minutes to chill. Cut into desired shape, place at least 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat, and bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until cookies are just beginning to turn brown around the edges, rotating cookie sheet halfway through baking time. Let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes after removal from oven and then move to complete cooling on wire rack. Serve as is or ice as desired. Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
EASY SUGAR COOKIES RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 48 cookies
|2 3/4 cups flour|
|1 teaspoon baking powder|
|1 teaspoon baking soda|
|1 1/2 cups butter|
|1 1/2 cups sugar|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 175 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and baking soda together in a bowl; set the mixture aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Once combined, slowly blend in the dry ingredients until evenly mixed.
- Searate dough into tablespoon-sized balls.
- Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Place on center rack and bake for 5 to 7 minutes (or until golden brown). Let the cookies sit for 2 minutes before cooling on wire racks.
Calories 102.9, FatContent 5.9, SaturatedFatContent 3.7, CholesterolContent 19.1, SodiumContent 86.1, CarbohydrateContent 11.8, FiberContent 0.2, SugarContent 6.3, ProteinContent 0.9