SPICY ITALIAN SANDWICH LIKE SUBWAY RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 4 minutes
Prep time: 4 minutes
Yield: 1 sandwich, 1 serving(s)
|4 slices pepperoni|
|2 slices salami|
|2 slices provolone cheese|
|1 ciabatta rolls or 1 roll, of your choice|
|roasted jalapeno, sliced|
|pepperoncini pepper, sliced|
|2 slices tomatoes|
|black pepper, to taste|
|3 dashes red wine vinegar|
- Assemble sandwiches using above ingredients. When taking to work, I put on vinegar at time of eating or it gets soggy.
Calories 381.9, FatContent 30.1, SaturatedFatContent 15.9, CholesterolContent 84, SodiumContent 1218.8, CarbohydrateContent 3.8, FiberContent 0.5, SugarContent 2.1, ProteinContent 23.1
ITALIAN SAUSAGE SANDWICH RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 serving(s)
|3/4 lb bulk Italian sausage (hot or mild)|
|1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce (from a jar)|
|1/2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives (black or green)|
|1 red onion, sliced in half rings|
|1/2 sweet red pepper, sliced in strips|
|4 French rolls|
|4 slices mozzarella cheese (approx 6 ounces)|
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet brown sausage.
- Drain off the fat, stir in the sauce and olives, heat through.
- Split rolls lengthwise without cutting through opposite side.
- Hollow out buns slightly, halve cheese slices lengthwise.
- Place a piece of cheese on bottom half of each roll.
- Divide meat mixture evenly among the 4 rolls, top with onion and sweet peppers.
- Place another cheese slice on top and close the rolls.
- Wrap each sandwich in foil and seal, place on a baking sheet and bake the wrapped sandwiches in the oven for approx 15 minutes.
- Unwrap serve and enjoy!
Calories 563.2, FatContent 37.9, SaturatedFatContent 14.3, CholesterolContent 88.5, SodiumContent 1318.1, CarbohydrateContent 31.4, FiberContent 3.8, SugarContent 6.5, ProteinContent 23.2
SAUSAGE, PEPPERS, AND ONIONS SUBS RECIPE | BON APPÉTIT
Provided by: Alex Delany
Yield: Makes 3 very shareable subs
|4 red and/or yellow bell peppers|
|1 poblano chile|
|3 small onions|
|6 garlic cloves|
|3 soft Italian sandwich rolls|
|2 lb. sweet Italian sausage (about 8 links)|
|5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|2 Tbsp. tomato paste|
|⅓ cup red wine vinegar|
- Cut 4 bell peppers and 1 poblano chile in half lengthwise. Using your fingers, pull out stems and ribs, then tap out seeds. Slice lengthwise into ¼” strips.
- Peel 3 onions and cut in half through root end. Cut a V-shaped notch into root to remove. Slice each half into 3 lengthwise wedges.
- Peel 6 garlic cloves and thinly slice.
- Slice 3 rolls lengthwise without cutting all the way through (so 2 sides remain attached).
- Place 2 lb. sausages in a large straight-sided skillet and cover with cold water just until sausages are submerged. Heat over medium-high and cook, uncovered, just until water reaches a gentle boil, 6–8 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer sausages (they will be fully cooked) with tongs to a plate; set aside. Dump water from skillet; reserve skillet.
- While sausages cook, heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large Dutch oven over medium. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, just until onions are beginning to soften, 5–8 minutes.
- Add bell peppers, chile, and another 1 Tbsp. oil to pot; season generously with salt and pepper. Stir to combine, then increase heat to medium-high. Cover and cook, uncovering to stir occasionally, until peppers are tender, 10–15 minutes.
- Create a clearing in the middle of the pot and add 2 Tbsp. tomato paste. Stir paste until darkened in color and is sticking to bottom of pot, about 3 minutes.
- Add ⅓ cup vinegar and stir to dissolve paste and combine with peppers and onions. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers and onions are very tender, 8–10 minutes longer. Season with more salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, slice sausages in half lengthwise.
- Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in reserved skillet over medium-high. Add half of sausages cut side down and cook, pressing down to ensure full contact with pan, until cut sides are browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer back to plate and repeat with remaining sausages.
- Divide half of peppers and onions mixture among rolls, then arrange seared sausage halves over.
- Top with remaining peppers and onion mixture. Cut sandwiches in half crosswise and serve.