CHINESE STIR-FRIED TOMATOES AND EGGS RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Francis Lam
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 2 or 3 servings, with rice
|1/2 teaspoon sesame oil|
|1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine or dry sherry|
|1 teaspoon cornstarch|
|1 teaspoon sugar|
|2 tablespoons ketchup|
|1 pound beefsteak tomatoes in season, or 1 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes in juice|
|4 tablespoons vegetable oil|
|3 scallions, sliced|
|1 teaspoon minced ginger (from about 1/4-inch nub)|
|Steamed rice, for serving|
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs well with 1 teaspoon salt, sesame oil and rice wine or sherry. In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until well combined, then stir in the sugar and ketchup.
- If using fresh tomatoes, core and cut them into 1/2-inch wide wedges.
- Heat a wide nonstick skillet over high heat with 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. When the oil shimmers, add most of the scallions, saving some to garnish. Cook, stirring, until very aromatic, about 20 seconds. Add the eggs, and cook, stirring well with a spatula or chopsticks, until just set but still runny, about 45 seconds. Pour the eggs back into the mixing bowl, and wipe out the pan.
- Reheat the pan over high heat with the remaining tablespoon of oil. When it is hot, add the ginger and cook until aromatic, about 15 seconds. Add the tomatoes and salt to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, until the flesh has softened but still has some shape and the juices have begun to form a sauce, 2 to 3 minutes. (If using canned tomatoes, add the juice as well and cook about 4 minutes, to reduce it to a saucelike consistency.)
- Reduce the heat to medium. Give the cornstarch-ketchup mixture a stir in its bowl, then stir it into the pan. Cook, stirring, until the sauce returns to a boil and thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, sugar or more ketchup — you want a savory, tart-sweet sauce. Stir the eggs in the bowl to cut up the curds a bit, then return them to the pan. Cook, stirring, for a few seconds to finish cooking the eggs and to combine. Top with the reserved scallions, and serve with steamed rice.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 351, UnsaturatedFatContent 22 grams, CarbohydrateContent 13 grams, FatContent 28 grams, FiberContent 3 grams, ProteinContent 12 grams, SaturatedFatContent 4 grams, SodiumContent 676 milligrams, SugarContent 8 grams, TransFatContent 0 grams
CHINESE STIR-FRIED TOMATOES AND EGGS RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE STIR …
Provided by: DELISH.COM
Categories: dairy-free,low-cost,vegetarian,weeknight meals,dinner,lunch,main dish,side dish
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 0S
Yield: 2 servings
|4 large eggs|
|Freshly ground black pepper (optional)|
|Pinch ground white pepper (optional)|
|1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed|
|4 cloves garlic, sliced|
|1 lb. tomatoes, diced|
|1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar|
|Cooked rice or noodles, for serving|
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, a pinch each of salt, black pepper, and white pepper.
- In a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add whisked eggs and use a spatula to form large curds, cooking until eggs are mostly cooked, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer eggs to a bowl.
- Return skillet to medium heat, adding a touch more oil if pan is dry. Add garlic and stir until lightly golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, ½ teaspoon salt, and sugar and increase heat to medium-high. Stirring occasionally, cook until tomatoes are soft and half-disintegrated and juices thicken slightly to a saucy consistency, about 5 minutes.
- Return eggs back into the pan, then remove from heat. Stir to thoroughly combine tomatoes and eggs.
- Serve over rice or noodles.
How to cook eggs and tomatoes for stir fry?
Directions. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the eggs, and green onion; cook and stir until the eggs are almost solid. Add the tomatoes, and cook until eggs are firm. Season with salt, and serve. Quick stir-fry full of basil freshness! Grilled cheese with Southern flair! Wake up to easy eggs for a group!
How do you make fried tomatoes with egg and salt?
In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, salt, and white pepper powder and whisk together. Cut the tomatoes into wedges and cut them in half crosswise. If your tomatoes are smaller than mine, keep them as wedges. Heat the neutral-flavored oil in a wok or large frying pan over medium heat.
How do you cook eggs and tomatoes in a pan?
Heat up a non-stick pan over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp of cooking oil. When the oil is hot, add the eggs and scramble them. You’ll know they’re done when they start to brown Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining ½ tbsp of cooking oil. The pan should still be hot, so you can immediately add in the sliced tomatoes.
What is the best way to make a fried egg?
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, a pinch each of salt, black pepper, and white pepper. In a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat, heat oil.