SPUMONI ICE CREAM CAKE RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Ali Slagle
Total time: 6 hours 50 minutes
Yield: About 16 servings
|1 (1.5-quart) carton or 3 pints cherry ice cream|
|1 (1.5-quart) carton or 3 pints pistachio ice cream|
|1 (1.5-quart) carton or 3 pints chocolate ice cream, preferably with chocolate chips|
|50 amaretti cookies, meringues or chocolate wafers (10 1/2 ounces)|
|1 cup maraschino cherries (from one 14-ounce jar), drained and stemmed if needed|
|2 1/2 cups heavy cream (see Tip)|
|5 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar|
|Pinch of kosher salt|
|Multicolored sprinkles, for serving|
- Remove the lid from the cherry ice cream and let sit at room temperature until the ice cream softens to the consistency of thick cake batter, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the lids from the pistachio and chocolate ice creams and let soften in the refrigerator until the ice creams are softened to the consistency of thick cake batter, 20 to 30 minutes.
- While the ice creams soften, cover the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with one layer of whole amaretti cookies, flat sides down. Put the remaining amaretti in a resealable plastic bag and crush with a heavy pan. Line another 9-inch round cake pan with plastic wrap, leaving a few inches of overhang. Add the crushed cookies and set aside until Step 4.
- On top of the whole cookies in the springform pan, spread the softened cherry ice cream in an even layer. Tap the pan gently on the counter to remove air pockets. Distribute the maraschino cherries over the cherry ice cream, saving a handful for the top of the cake. Spread the softened pistachio ice cream in an even layer on top of the cherries. Tap the pan gently on the counter to remove air pockets. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 2 hours or up to 1 week. (If at any point the ice cream is melting to liquid, pop the cake and ice creams in the freezer to firm to a spoonable consistency.)
- Immediately after placing the cherry and pistachio layers in the freezer, prepare the chocolate layer: Shake to distribute the cookie crumbs evenly in the cake pan. Spread the softened chocolate ice cream in an even layer over the cookies. Press down as you go to adhere the ice cream to the cookies, then tap the pan on the counter to remove air pockets. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 2 hours or up to 1 week.
- Run a knife around the cake in the springform pan, then unmold the springform and transfer the cake to a serving plate. Use the plastic wrap overhang to remove the chocolate ice cream out of the cake pan. Invert the layer onto the pistachio ice cream so the crushed cookies are on top (do not remove the plastic wrap). Freeze until set, about 4 hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to serve, whip the cream with the sugar and salt until stiff peaks form. Remove the cake from the freezer and remove the plastic wrap from the cake. Working quickly, with a spoon or offset spatula, frost the sides and top of the cake with the whipped cream, then decorate with sprinkles and the reserved maraschino cherries. Serve right away. (If you find the cake too solid to cut, run your knife under hot water before slicing and wipe it dry between cuts. Also remember that the first piece is always the trickiest to get out.)
SPUMONI ICE CREAM CAKE | BEN & JERRY’S
Provided by: Ben & Jerry’s
Total time: 60 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
|1 pint Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia|
|1 pint Ben & Jerry’s Pistachio Pistachio|
|1 pint Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie|
|4 large brownies, homemade or store bought|
|Topping: Chocolate Ganache – 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup heavy cream|
|Topping: Cookie Crumbs – 4 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed|
- In a silicone or metal baking pan or pie plate place a layer of brownies and push down firmly to make a thin layer of crust.
- Soften 1 pint of ice cream so it is soft enough to spread. Spread over crust and place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes, or until it’s firm.
- While that’s in the freezer, pull out another pint of ice cream to soften. Repeat step 2 for the remaining flavors until you have all three layers spread in the pan.
- Add either cookie crumbs or ganache as a topping and return the cake to the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the freezer and cut into individual slices to serve. You may need to remove the cake and let it soften before slicing if left in the freezer for 30 minutes or longer.
- For the Chocolate Ganache – Place a heat proof (glass or stainless steel) bowl over boiling water.
- For the Chocolate Ganache – Add 1 cup of cream to heat the cream to a low boil and remove from heat.
- For the Chocolate Ganache – Slowly add cream to chocolate pieces.
- For the Chocolate Ganache – Let the ganache cool, but while it’s still liquid use a spoon to drizzle the ganache over the cake.