ALOO PHUJIA RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: CHRISTYJ
Categories: Indian Recipes
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|1 onion, chopped|
|¼ cup vegetable oil|
|1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|½ teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|½ teaspoon ground turmeric|
|¼ teaspoon ground cumin|
|2 tomatoes, chopped|
- Lightly brown onion in oil in a medium size skillet.
- Stir in salt, cayenne, turmeric and cumin. Add potatoes and cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, cover pan and cook until potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
Calories 235.4 calories, CarbohydrateContent 25.7 g, FatContent 14.1 g, FiberContent 4 g, ProteinContent 3.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.9 g, SodiumContent 593.4 mg, SugarContent 4 g
INDIAN-SPICED POTATOES WITH CHICKEN THIGHS | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
Provided by: Jamie Oliver
Total time: 1 hours 25 minutes
|1 large onion|
|800 g potatoes|
|4 ripe tomatoes|
|1 red pepper|
|2 cloves of garlic|
|5cm piece of ginger|
|½ a bunch of fresh coriander (15g)|
|2 tablespoons mustard seeds|
|1 handful of curry leaves|
|1 heaped teaspoon turmeric|
|6 large free-range chicken thighs, bone in|
|2 fresh red or green chillies|
|½ a bunch of fresh mint (15g)|
|½ a lemon|
|1cm piece of ginger|
|150 g natural yoghurt|
|1 fresh green chilli|
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
- Peel the onion, then cut into 3cm cubes with the potatoes, tomatoes, aubergine and pepper.
- Put the spuds in a large pan of salted water over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes, then drain in a colander and leave to steam-dry for 3 minutes.
- Tip into a large bowl and mix with the tomato, aubergine, pepper and onion.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic. Peel and finely grate the ginger. Pick the coriander leaves and set aside, then chop the stalks.
- Heat a lug of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, coriander stalks, mustard seeds, curry leaves and turmeric, and cook for 2 minutes, or until fragrant. Leave to one side to cool slightly.
- Add the spice mix to the veg and potatoes, and tip onto a large roasting tray. Arrange the chicken on top and season.
- Roast in the bottom of the oven for 1 hour, or until the chicken is cooked and the veggies are gnarly.
- For the dressing, pick the mint leaves into a blender, squeeze in the lemon juice, then peel and add the ginger with the remaining dressing ingredients and a pinch of seasoning. Blitz until smooth.
- Top the chicken and potatoes with the coriander leaves. Finely slice and scatter on the chillies, then serve with poppadoms and the dressing on the side.
Calories 296 calories, FatContent 13 g fat, SaturatedFatContent 3.4 g saturated fat, ProteinContent 15.9 g protein, CarbohydrateContent 32.4 g carbohydrate, SugarContent 9.1 g sugar, SodiumContent 0.4 g salt, FiberContent 4 g fibre
How to cook Indian-inspired potatoes?
This Indian-inspired dish makes for a great side! In a Dutch oven or large pot over high heat, cook potatoes in boiling water until just tender, 15 minutes, drain and set aside. In same pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook mustard and cumin seeds until they pop, 1 minute.
How to cook spicy Indian potatoes with cilantro?
Scrape any mix or potatoes stuck to bottom of the pan or sides. Add 2 Tbsp water and saute cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and transfer the ‘Spicy Indian Potatoes with Cilantro’ to a serving dish. Sprinkle some fresh cilantro on top and enjoy with flatbreads/roti or rice.
What makes Bombay potatoes spicy?
This spicy Indian Bombay potatoes recipe is an easy vegetarian and vegan Indian dish that really packs the heat thanks to the fresh green chiles. One of the secrets to the perfect spicy Bombay potatoes is in the cooking oil; using mustard oil gives Indian food dishes that little extra burst of authentic taste.
How do you make potato curry at home?
1) Peel and cut potatoes into small cubes. 2) Heat oil in pan. 3) Add cumin seeds, onion seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida powder to pan and shake around until seeds start to crackle. 4) Add potatoes, turmeric powder, salt and green chilis. Mix well.