OUR FAVORITE LEMON HERB COUSCOUS SALAD
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Yield: Makes approximately 8 (1 cup) servings
|1 1/2 cups dried Israeli couscous, also called pearl couscous|
|Salt and fresh ground black pepper|
|1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 teaspoon Dijon mustard|
|1/2 teaspoon honey|
|1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest|
|2 to 4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice, depending on taste|
|1 medium English cucumber, diced|
|1 large tomato, diced|
|1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh herbs; use any combination of fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, dill, or mint|
|1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted|
|1/4 cup raisins, we love golden raisins|
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add couscous and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Drain.
- While the couscous cooks, in a large bowl, whisk the oil, mustard, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the drained couscous to the dressing and mix well.
- Stir in the cucumber, tomato, herbs, walnuts and raisins. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and/or pepper as needed. Enjoy warm or cover then refrigerate until cool, about 1 hour.
ServingSize 1 cup, Calories 219, ProteinContent 5 g, CarbohydrateContent 29 g, FiberContent 2 g, SugarContent 4 g, FatContent 9 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg, SodiumContent 160 mg
HOW TO COOK ISRAELI COUSCOUS (PEARL COUSCOUS)
Provided by: Makos
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 3 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
|1 ½ cups (200 grams) Israeli couscous|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|4 cups water|
|1 teaspoon salt|
- Saute: Add the couscous and the olive oil in a pot over medium/high heat and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until it starts to smell nutty and the pearls start to brown in certain parts.
- Boil: Add the water and the salt and bring to a boil. Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 7-8 minutes. Taste the couscous and if it needs more time cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Drain: Remove from the heat and drain through a sieve. Transfer to a bowl, add 1-2 teaspoons of olive oil (optional), fluff up with a fork and serve. You can also add ground black pepper, chopped parsley and lemon juice.
Calories 218 kcal, ServingSize 1 serving
PEARL COUSCOUS SALAD RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Susan
Categories: Pasta Salad
Total time: 8 hours 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|5 tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|2 cups pearl (Israeli) couscous|
|2 ½ cups water|
|½ cup French lentils|
|water to cover|
|2 Roma (plum) tomatoes, diced|
|1 small cucumber, seeded and diced|
|1 red bell pepper, diced|
|½ cup dried cranberries|
|½ cup golden raisins|
|⅓ cup diced red onion|
|¼ cup 1/2-inch slices of fresh chives|
|2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley, or more to taste|
|1 green onion, thinly sliced|
|1 teaspoon ground sumac|
|¼ cup olive oil|
|2 lemons, juiced|
|2 tablespoons honey, or more to taste|
|salt and ground black pepper to taste|
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir couscous in the hot oil until toasted and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups water to couscous and bring to a boil; cover skillet and cook until couscous is tender, about 10 minutes. Rinse couscous in a colander with cold water and transfer to a bowl. Mix 1/4 cup olive oil into couscous and stir to coat.
- Place lentils in a small pan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and rinse lentils under cold water in a colander; add to couscous.
- Mix tomatoes, cucumber, red bell pepper, cranberries, raisins, red onion, chives, parsley, green onion, and sumac into couscous-lentil mixture.
- Beat 1/4 cup olive oil, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper together in a bowl; pour over couscous-lentil mixture and stir until coated. Refrigerate salad for flavors to blend, 8 hours to overnight.
Calories 560.3 calories, CarbohydrateContent 82.2 g, FatContent 21 g, FiberContent 9.9 g, ProteinContent 12.7 g, SaturatedFatContent 2.9 g, SodiumContent 42.8 mg, SugarContent 22 g
How to cook pearled couscous?
Lemon Herb Pearl Couscous is the perfect flavorful and simple couscous recipe. Pearled couscous is toasted and combined with lemon juice and fresh herbs for a delicious side dish. Heat ½ tablespoon of olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the couscous to the pan and toast until slightly browned, about 2 minutes.
How to cook couscous with salt and oil?
1 Saute: Add the couscous and the olive oil in a pot over medium/high heat and saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until it starts to smell nutty and the pearls … 2 Boil: Add the water and the salt and bring to a boil. … 3 Drain: Remove from the heat and drain through a sieve. …
What do you put on your pearl couscous salad?
water, pearl couscous, asparagus, garlic cloves, water, Dijon mustard and 10 more Paprika Chicken on Pearl CouscousDelishar garlic, salt, dried oregano leaves, dried parsley, olive oil and 9 more Spicy Peanut Pearl Couscous SaladVeganosity dressing, coconut palm sugar, pearl couscous, water, red onion and 11 more
How long do you boil couscous for?
Bring the water to a boil, then simmer the couscous covered for 8 to 10 minutes. Season the grains with ½ teaspoon salt and keep at a low simmer. Cook until the couscous is tender and the water is absorbed (no need to drain). Pour into a bowl and wait 2 to 3 minutes, then fluff with a fork.