NAPA CABBAGE WRAPS WITH CHINESE EGGPLANT AND BASIL | FRIEDA’S …
|2 teaspoons salt|
|2 Frieda’s Chinese eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces|
|2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided|
|1 tablespoon Frieda’s ginger, grated|
|1-2 Frieda’s Thai green chiles, finely chopped|
|2 Frieda’s lemongrass stalks, finely chopped|
|1/2 white onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1/2 cup fresh basil, roughly chopped|
|1 head Frieda’s napa cabbage, leaves removed and cleaned|
|2 teaspoons sesame oil|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 tablespoon rice vinegar|
|1/4 cup coconut sugar|
|3 tablespoons soy sauce|
|2 teaspoons cornstarch|
|1 tablespoon water|
- Fill a large bowl with water; add salt. Place Chinese eggplant in salt water with a large dish on top of eggplant to keep it submerged. Allow the eggplant to sit in salt water 15 minutes. Drain eggplant; pat dry with a clean kitchen towel.
- Add 1 tablespoon sesame oil to large skillet over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, add eggplant in a single layer. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until eggplant is golden outside and fork tender in the middle. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- To make sauce, combine sesame oil, garlic, rice vinegar, coconut sugar, and soy sauce in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk cornstarch and water together. Pour cornstarch slurry into sauce and stir.
- Warm remaining tablespoon of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ginger, Thai green chile and lemongrass. Saute for 2-3 minutes until green chile softens. Add white onion to skillet and turn to medium-high heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently for 5-7 minutes, until onion is soft and just beginning to turn gold around the edges.
- Return Chinese eggplant to skillet along with sauce and cook for another minute. The sauce should thicken. Stir in fresh basil and remove from heat.
- Divide the stir-fry between the napa cabbage leaves and enjoy warm.