FAST SCALLION PANCAKES RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Mark Bittman
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|4 bunches scallions or spring onions, about 1 pound|
|1 teaspoon soy sauce|
|1/2 cup flour|
|Peanut, canola or olive oil as needed|
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil while you trim the scallions. Roughly chop three bunches, and mince the fourth.
- Add the larger portion of scallions to the water, and cook about 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain, reserving about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Puree the cooked scallions in a blender, adding just enough of the cooking liquid to allow the machine to do its work.
- Mix the puree with the egg and soy, then gently stir in the flour until blended. Add pepper to taste, then the reserved minced scallions. Film a nonstick or well-seasoned skillet with oil, and turn the heat to medium-high. Drop the batter into the pan by the tablespoon or quarter cup, and cook about 2 minutes to a side, or until lightly browned. If necessary, the pancakes can be kept warm in a 200-degree oven for about 30 minutes.
LEMONY WHIPPED FETA WITH CHARRED SCALLIONS RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Sarah Jampel
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: About 6 to 8 servings (About 2 cups)
|1 1/2 lemons, plus more to taste|
|1 bunch scallions, trimmed and halved crosswise|
|1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil|
|10 ounces feta cheese, broken into large pieces (about 2 1/2 to 3 cups)|
|4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature, or heavy cream|
|1/4 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for garnish|
|1/4 teaspoon cayenne, plus more for garnish|
|1 tablespoon hot water|
- Heat the broiler and line a sheet pan with foil. Juice 1 whole lemon to get 3 tablespoons juice and set aside. Cut the remaining 1/2 lemon into 3 to 4 thin slices.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the lemon slices, scallions and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place on sheet pan and broil until blackened, tossing occasionally, 7 to 9 minutes for the scallions and about another 5 minutes for the lemon slices. Transfer to a cutting board to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, add the feta, cream cheese, remaining 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, reserved lemon juice, black pepper, cayenne and hot water. Purée until very smooth, then add almost all of the scallions (save 1 or 2 pieces and chop roughly for a garnish). Pulse to combine, leaving some chunky scallion pieces. Taste for lemon, adjusting as needed.
- Transfer to a bowl, then garnish with charred lemon slices, the reserved scallion, black pepper and a pinch of cayenne.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 317, UnsaturatedFatContent 16 grams, CarbohydrateContent 5 grams, FatContent 30 grams, FiberContent 1 gram, ProteinContent 9 grams, SaturatedFatContent 12 grams, SodiumContent 527 milligrams, SugarContent 3 grams