PORTUGUESE SALAD WITH LEMON VINAIGRETTE RECIPE
- For the vinaigrette, whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Drizzle in oil, whisking to combine.
- For the salad, toss together romaine, watercress, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, and olives.
- To serve, drizzle salad with half the vinaigrette, tossing gently to coat; season with salt and black pepper. Drizzle salad with more vinaigrette to taste.
ServingSize 12 servings, Calories 67, FatContent 6g, CarbohydrateContent 4g, FiberContent 1g, ProteinContent 1g, SaturatedFatContent 1g, SodiumContent 170mg, CholesterolContent 0mg
PORTUGUESE SALAD (SALADA A PORTUGUESA) | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
From The Food of Portugal by Jean Anderson.
Provided by: Vicki Butts (lazyme) @lazyme5909
Categories: Other Salads
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
|1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced thin|
|1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt or coarse salt|
|3 medium sweet green peppers|
|4 large tomatoes|
|1 medium garlic clove, peeled and minced|
|1/4 teaspoon(s) freshly ground black pepper|
|3 tablespoon(s) olive oil|
|1 tablespoon(s) cider vinegar|
|2 tablespoon(s) fresh coriander, coarsely chopped, optional|
- Spread the cucumber slices out on several thicknesses of paper toweling, sprinkle evenly with the salt, top with more paper toweling, then weight down while you prepare the tomatoes and peppers. (I put a heavy chopping board on top of the cucumbers, then top it with canned goods.)
- Spear a pepper and turn it over a high burner flame until blackened all over; this will loosen the skin. Repeat until all peppers are blackened, bundle in paper toweling, and let stand while you roast the tomatoes.
- Now spear the tomatoes, one by one, and turn over the flame until the skins burst and blacken here and there — these take much less time over the flame than the peppers.
If you don’t have a gas range, arrange the peppers on a broiler pan, place about 4 inches from the broiler unit, and broil 2 to 3 minutes, turning often so that the skins blacken evenly. Broil the tomatoes the same way, but turn them more often and watch closely so that they aren’t reduced to mush.
- When the peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off the blackened skins, core, seed, and cut lengthwise into strips about 3/4-inch wide; place the peppers in a large nonmetallic bowl. Peel the tomatoes, core, cut into slim wedges, and add to the peppers along with the sliced cucumber, garlic, and pepper.
- Toss lightly, drizzle with the olive oil, then vinegar, and toss lightly again. Add the fresh coriander, if you have it, cover, and marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Toss lightly again and serve.
- This salad is superb with freshly grilled fish or chicken and also with almost any salt-cod dish.
SIMPLE PORTUGUESE ALGARVE STYLE SALAD – FARAH TRADING …
Provided by: Joana Rute Carmo
Total time: 10 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
|4 – 6 Heirloom Tomatoes|
|1 Red Bell Pepper|
|1 Small White Onion|
|2/3 Olive Oil|
|1/3 White Wine Vinegar|
|Freshly Grounded Black Pepper|
- Cut all the veggies in half moon slices.
- Mix all the ingredients from the dressing in a tiny mason jar and firmly shake it.
- Now just combine everything in a big bowl, sprinkle some more dried oregano and enjoy!