CALDO VERDE (PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE KALE SOUP) | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 5 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
|12 ounces linguica sausage, sliced|
|1 tablespoon olive oil|
|1 onion, finely diced|
|1 pinch salt|
|3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick|
|2 teaspoons salt, plus more as needed|
|2 quarts chicken broth or water|
|2 pounds kale – trimmed, chopped, rinsed, drained|
|1 pinch cayenne pepper|
- Slice sausage into 1/4-inch rounds. Heat oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and saute until sausage begins to turn brown and renders some fat, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a dish. Reduce heat to medium-low; add onions and pinch of salt salt. Stir and cook until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer potatoes to pot. Sprinkle in 2 teaspoons salt. Pour in chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- When potatoes are tender, carefully mash them in the broth with a potato masher until broken up or completely mashed. Add kale, a handful at a time. Transfer browned sausage to soup. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until greens are tender, about 45 minutes.
Calories 564.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 62.1 g, CholesterolContent 55.9 mg, FatContent 25.6 g, FiberContent 6.6 g, ProteinContent 25.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 8.6 g, SodiumContent 2850.6 mg, SugarContent 4.3 g
PORTUGUESE KALE AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
Provided by: Ruth Cousineau
Total time: 45 min
Cook time: 15 min
Yield: Makes 4 (main course) servings
|1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided|
|1/2 pound chouriço or linguiça (smoked Portuguese sausages) or kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|2 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 pound russet (baking) potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces|
|6 cups water|
|1 pound kale, stems and center ribs discarded and leaves very thinly sliced|
|Accompaniment: piri-piri sauce or other hot sauce|
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat until it shimmers, then brown sausage, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Add 2 tablespoon oil to fat in pot and cook onion and garlic with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring often, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, water, and 1 teaspoon salt and simmer, covered, until potatoes are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Mash some potatoes into soup to thicken, then add kale and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in sausage and cook until just heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
KALE SOUP WITH POTATOES AND SAUSAGE RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Molly O’Neill
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|1 pound linguiça or uncured Spanish chorizo, cut across into 1/8-inch-thick slices|
|1 large onion, peeled and chopped|
|1 clove garlic, peeled and minced|
|2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes|
|1 1/2 heads kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped (about 6 cups)|
|4 cups chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned|
|1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar|
|2 teaspoons kosher salt|
|Freshly ground pepper to taste|
|3 plum tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/2-inch dice|
- Place the sausage in a large pot over medium-low heat and cook until it begins to render its fat, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for 2 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes longer.
- Stir in the chicken broth, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Season with pepper. Stir in the tomatoes and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Divide among 4 bowls and serve.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 793, UnsaturatedFatContent 27 grams, CarbohydrateContent 54 grams, FatContent 47 grams, FiberContent 5 grams, ProteinContent 39 grams, SaturatedFatContent 17 grams, SodiumContent 1767 milligrams, SugarContent 9 grams
PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE AND KALE SOUP [CALDO VERDE RECIPE]
Provided by: Ronda Eagle | Kitchen Dreaming
Categories: 30-minute meals,Dinner,Main Course,Soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 22 minutes
|1 tsp Extra-virgin olive oil|
|1 Large Onion (, chopped fine)|
|5 cloves Garlic (, minced (about 2 teaspoons))|
|1 pound Kale (, coarsely chopped, stem removed)|
|1 tsp Sea salt (, fine. More or less to taste. [See Note 1])|
|1 tsp Ground black pepper|
|1 can White kidney beans (15 oz, drained and rinsed, (also called Cannellini Beans))|
|1 pound Chourico sausage (, casing removed, diced [See Note 2])|
|2 medium Potatoes (, peeled and diced. Russets, red, or Yukon Gold work best here.)|
|2 Bay leaves (optional)|
|1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)|
|1 can Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes (15 oz, do not drain)|
|2 quarts Chicken broth (low sodium cooking stock)|
|2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar (optional)|
- Heat oil in a deep pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, cover, and cook for 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add garlic and kale to the pot. Cover pot and wilt greens for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add beans, chourico, potatoes, bay leaves. red pepper flakes (optional), diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and cider vinegar to the pot. Bring soup to a full rolling boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook 10 to 15 minutes longer or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Remove from heat. Serve immediately. I recommend some crusty bread to soak up that amazing broth!
ServingSize 1 serving (1/8th of recipe), Calories 257 kcal, SugarContent 2 g, SodiumContent 2195 mg, FatContent 18 g, SaturatedFatContent 5 g, TransFatContent 1 g, CarbohydrateContent 10 g, FiberContent 1 g, ProteinContent 15 g, CholesterolContent 48 mg