DILL PICKLE RECIPE FOR CANNING
|4-5 Pounds Cucumbers, Small ones only|
|4 Cups Water|
|4 Cups Cider Vinegar or white vinegar, 5% acidity|
|1/2 Cup Pickling & Canning Salt|
|1 Onion Thinly Sliced|
|10-15 Garlic Cloves|
|5 Dill Heads or fresh dill sprigs|
|5 tsp Mustard Seeds|
|5 tsp Dill Seeds|
|5 tsp Coriander Seeds|
|5 tsp Black Peppercorns|
|5/8 tsp pickle crisp optional – 1/8 tsp per pint|
- Start your water bath canner in a pot big enough to hold 5 one pint mason jars. The water (and the pot!) should be deep enough once the jars are added there is at least 1 inch of water above the top of the jars. Bring the pot to a boil.
- Prepare a brine by bringing 4 cups water, 4 cups vinegar and 1/2c salt to a boil.
- While the brine and canner are coming up to a boil, gently wash cucumbers to remove any dirt and nip off both ends. Either leave the cucumbers whole or slice into 1/2inch slices.
- At the bottom of each wide mouth pint mason jar, add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds, dill seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorns and the dill heads or fresh herb sprigs.
- Pack tightly with pickles and a few slices of onion. Top 2 with 2-3 garlic cloves. Be sure to leave 1 inch of headspace above the pickles.
- Cover with brine to just submerge the vegetables, being sure to leave 1/2 inch of headspace above the top level of the brine.
- Cap and band mason jars to just finger tight and place into boiling water in your water bath canner. Process for 10 minutes for pints (or 15 min for quarts) below 1000 feet of elevation. (15 minutes for pints at 1,000-6,000 feet)
How to make pickles in a jar?
Put one teaspoon of sugar and one of salt in each jar. If you want to make sweet pickles (or sweeter), add 2-3 tablespoons of sugar. 6. Add spices: 2 large bay leaves (or 3 small), about 30 peppercorns and 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, per jar (if you chose to use garlic, put 2-3 cloves per jar at this stage). 7. Fill with water almost up to the rim.
What is the best way to store pickles?
Once opened, keep the jars in the refrigerator. You need a good ceramic, glass, enamel, or stainless steel containers to pickle sausages. A container made from tin or aluminum is likely to produce an unpleasant metallic taste. 1. Put the meat in the container.
How do you make pickles with vinegar and salt?
Make your pickling brine by combining the vinegar, water, and salt in a stainless-steel saucepan over high heat. Bring to a rolling boil, then pour the hot pickling brine over the veggies covering them, nearly filling each jar but leaving ½ inch of headspace.
How to pickle peppers?
Clean the kitchen. This is an important step when canning. Slice the peppers into rings. Wear gloves while you do this. It prevents burns. Heat the canning jars for 10 minutes. Make the brine. Pack the peppers tightly into hot jars. Add pickle crisp. (optional but highly recommended.) Ladle brine into the jars. Remove air bubbles.