SAUTÉED EGGPLANT (MELANZANE A FUNGHETTO) – MARICRUZ AVALOS …
Provided by: Maricruz
Categories: side dish
Total time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
|1 ½ lb (680g) eggplants (cut into ½"/1.5cm cubes)|
|½ lb (250g) cherry tomatoes (cut into quarters)|
|1 garlic clove (skinless)|
|extra virgin olive oil (as needed)|
|fresh basil leaves (or 1 tsp of dried basil)|
- Wash and cut the eggplants into small cubes of about half an inch (1.5cm).
- Place the eggplants in a colander and sprinkle them with salt. Let them rest for 1 hour.
- Rinse the eggplants very well with cold water and pat dry them with kitchen paper.
- In a sauté pan, heat plenty of olive oil (read note 1).
- Add the eggplants and fry until tender, about 15 minutes over moderate heat.
- Remove the eggplants and the excess oil as much as possible. Placet them on a plate.
- In the same saucepan, sauté the garlic in a bit of olive oil for a minute or until browned (read note 2).
- Add the tomatoes, season with pepper and sauté for 3 minutes over moderate heat so the tomatoes release some juices.
- Add the eggplants to the saucepan and a bunch of hand-torn basil. Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Adjust salt if necessary and turn off the stove. Allow the dish to reach room temperature and serve.
SAUTEED EGGPLANT RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Provided by: EatingWell Test Kitchen
Categories: Healthy Basil Recipes
Total time: 45 minutes
|¾ cup whole-wheat panko (Japanese-style bread crumbs)|
|3 tablespoons finely shredded Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese|
|1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel|
|1 tablespoon minced fresh basil|
|½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed|
|¼ teaspoon salt|
|¼ teaspoon black pepper|
|Nonstick cooking spray|
|1 small eggplant, sliced 1/8-inch-thick (about 12 ounces)|
|1 lemon, cut into wedges|
|1 leaf Small fresh basil leaves|
- Beat eggs in a shallow dish; set aside. In another shallow dish combine panko, cheese, lemon peel, basil, Italian seasoning, salt and black pepper; set aside.
- Coat a griddle or large nonstick or cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Dip eggplant slices in egg, turning to coat. Dip slices in bread crumb mixture to lightly coat.
- Cook eggplant slices in batches on the griddle over medium heat for 2- to 4-minutes per side until eggplant is lightly browned and softened. Keep cooked eggplant warm in a 300F oven while preparing remaining eggplant. Serve with lemon wedges. If desired, garnish with basil leaves.
Calories 86.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 12.7 g, CholesterolContent 73.1 mg, FatContent 2.8 g, FiberContent 3.9 g, ProteinContent 5.2 g, SaturatedFatContent 1 g, SodiumContent 163.6 mg, SugarContent 2.2 g
SAUTEED EGGPLANT WITH TOMATOES AND BALSAMIC VINEGAR RECIPE …
Total time: 3 hours 5 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Yield: 4 serving(s)
|1 large eggplant, cut into 1-inch dice|
|8 cups water|
|1/4 cup kosher salt|
|2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil|
|1 small onion, sliced|
|4 garlic cloves, minced|
|fresh ground pepper|
|1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar|
|14 ounces chopped tomatoes, with juice|
|4 fresh basil leaves, slivered|
- Place the eggplant in a large, wide bowl. Pour in the water, add 1/4 c salt, and stir together. Cover with a plate and place a weight, such as a can of tomatoes, on top of the plate to keep the eggplant submerged. Soak the eggplant in the salted water for 1-2 hours. Drain and pat dry.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring often, until tender, abut 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant.
- Add the eggplant and turn the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring often, until the eggplant is browned and just about tender, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the balsamic vinegar and stir for a minute, then add the tomatoes. When the tomatoes begin to cook quickly, reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, until the tomatoes have cooked down a bit. Cover the pan, reduce the heat to medium-low, and continue to cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the eggplant is very tender and the mixture is thick. Taste and adjust seasonings. Stir in the basil.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Cool slightly and serve. This is excellent at room temperature.
Calories 125.5, FatContent 7.2, SaturatedFatContent 1, CholesterolContent 0, SodiumContent 7097.5, CarbohydrateContent 15, FiberContent 6.2, SugarContent 7.2, ProteinContent 2.7