BAKED LEBANESE KIBBE RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: David Tanis
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
|1 cup fine-grain bulgur|
|1 pound lamb shoulder, ground fine|
|1/4 cup grated onion|
|1 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground, or 1 teaspoon ground cumin|
|Pinch cayenne pepper|
|3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for oiling the pan|
|2 cups sliced onions, 1/4-inch thick|
|1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted|
|Greek-style yogurt, for serving|
- Rinse the bulgur well, then cover with cold water and soak for 20 minutes. Drain well.
- Put the drained bulgur, lamb, grated onion, cumin and cayenne in a large mixing bowl. Season with 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix well with your hands to distribute the seasoning. With a wooden spoon, beat in about 1/2 cup ice water. The mixture should be smooth and soft.
- Heat the olive oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and fry gently, stirring occasionally, until they soften, about 5 minutes. Season generously with salt and pepper. Raise the heat and add 1/4 cup of the lamb mixture. Continue frying, allowing the meat to get crumbly and the onions to brown nicely, another 10 minutes or so. Stir in the pine nuts and taste. Let cool to room temperature.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a shallow 9-by-13-inch baking dish, then press half the remaining lamb mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Spread half the onion-pine nut mixture over the meat. Add the rest of the meat to the pan, patting and pressing it with wet hands to make a smooth top. If desired, score the top with a sharp paring knife to make a traditional diamond pattern at least 1/2-inch deep.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden. Spread with the remaining onion-pine nut mixture. Serve warm, at room temperature or cool, with a dollop of yogurt.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 437, UnsaturatedFatContent 20 grams, CarbohydrateContent 24 grams, FatContent 31 grams, FiberContent 4 grams, ProteinContent 18 grams, SaturatedFatContent 9 grams, SodiumContent 380 milligrams, SugarContent 2 grams
BAKED KIBBEH RECIPE (KIBBIE) – THE LEMON BOWL®
Provided by: Liz DellaCroce
Total time: 90 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
|1 1/2 cups bulgur wheat (fine ground (not coarse))|
|3 cups boiling water|
|1 pound ground sirloin|
|1 pound ground lamb|
|1 large yellow onion (grated)|
|6 servings All Purpose Lebanese Spice Blend ((1 serving = 1 teaspoon))|
|2 tablespoons clarified butter (ghee)|
|1/2 pound ground sirloin|
|1/2 pound ground lamb|
|1 medium yellow onion (chopped)|
|1/4 cup pine nuts (toasted)|
|2 servings All Purpose Lebanese Spice Blend|
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and butter a 9 x 13 baking dish; set aside.
- To prepare the base meat mixture, add the bulgur wheat to a medium bowl and stir in the boiling hot water. Cover the bowl and let stand for 10 minutes then drain any excess water.
- Add the ground lamb and sirloin to a food processor and pulse until it forms a fine paste. Remove from food processor and place in a large bowl along with softened wheat, grated onion, and All Purpose Lebanese Spice Blend. Use your hands to mix well. If mixture gets too sticky on hands, dip into a bowl of ice water.
- To make the filling, heat the clarified butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the meat, pine nuts, onion, and All Purpose Lebanese Spice Blend and sauté until meat is cooked through about 9-11 minutes.
- To form the baked kibbeh, spread half of the base meat mixture out on the bottom of the baking dish. Next, spread the filling on top of the base layer. Finally, spread the remaining base meat mixture on top, pressing down a bit with wet hands to smooth the top.
- Slice kibbeh diagonally to form small diamonds. Optional: you can drizzle on additional melted clarified butter over the top at this point.
- Bake until meat is fully cooked, about 40-45 minutes. Serve with Cucumber Laban on the side.
ServingSize 2 pieces, Calories 310 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 16.3 g, ProteinContent 19.2 g, FatContent 19.1 g, SaturatedFatContent 7.8 g, CholesterolContent 69 mg, SodiumContent 513 mg, FiberContent 4 g, SugarContent 1.4 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 11.3 g