CRISPY ROAST POTATOES RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Good Food team
Categories: Side dish
Total time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 40 minutes
|3kg Maris Piper potatoes (we’ve tried lots of potatoes over the years and these are truly the best)|
- A day or two before roasting, prepare the potatoes. You need chunks or whole potatoes roughly the size of a clementine, so peel and leave whole, halve or quarter accordingly. Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold, salted water – salting is important, so don’t skip it. Bring the water to the boil and simmer gently for about 15 mins until the potatoes are cooked all the way through but not on the brink of collapse. Gently drain the potatoes in a colander, but do not shake them or ruffle them up – just leave them to drain and cool. Once there is no more steam coming off them, place on a tray in a single layer and put them in the fridge, uncovered, until ready to roast.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C/gas 6 (or put them in when you turn it up for the turkey). Pour oil into a deep roasting tin to give an even layer of about 0.5cm. Place the tin in the oven for 5 mins to heat the oil, then remove from the oven. One at a time and working methodically (starting at one corner of the roasting tin and lining them up as you go) place each potato in the oil and use a spoon to turn it so it’s completely coated. Don’t worry about the oil cooling down too much. Once all the potatoes are in the tin in a single layer, not touching, place the tin in the oven and cook for 40 mins, undisturbed.
- Remove from the oven and – again, meticulously – turn each potato. Return to the oven for 20 mins, then repeat the potato-turning process again. If, at this stage, your other side dishes allow you to, turn the oven up to 220C/200C fan/gas 7 and give the potatoes a final 20 mins. By now you should have potatoes that are everything a roastie should be: deep, golden and crunchy on the outside with an extra-fluffy middle – just sprinkle with a little sea salt to serve.
Calories 434 calories, FatContent 17 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 2 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 61 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 2 grams sugar, FiberContent 6 grams fiber, ProteinContent 7 grams protein, SodiumContent 0.6 milligram of sodium
ROAST POTATOES RECIPES | GOODTO
Provided by: Jessica Dady
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves: 6
|1.8kg King Edward potatoes, peeled and cut into large, even-sized pieces|
|250ml olive oil|
- Preheat oven to 200°C, gas 6. Place potatoes in a large pan and just cover with water. Put on the lid and bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins. Drain and shake in a colander to fluff up the edges.
- Pour the oil into a large roasting tin and heat on the hob. Carefully arrange the potatoes in one layer in the tin – the oil should be so hot it sizzles when the potatoes go in. Turn them so they’re evenly coated in oil and roast for 40 mins, turning halfway through cooking.
- Drain off the oil and season with salt. Cook for a further 5 mins.
@context https//schema.org, Calories 562 Kcal, SugarContent 1.2 g, FatContent 38.7 g, SaturatedFatContent 5.5 g, SodiumContent 0.48 g, ProteinContent 6.3 g, CarbohydrateContent 50.4 g