JAMAICAN BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Categories: Chicken Stew
Total time: 6 hours 0 minutes
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 20 minutes
|4 cloves garlic, minced|
|½ cup sliced green onions, white and green parts separated, divided|
|2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar|
|2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped|
|1 tablespoon minced habanero pepper|
|1 tablespoon cider vinegar|
|2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root|
|2 teaspoons kosher salt|
|1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1 teaspoon smoked paprika|
|½ teaspoon ground allspice|
|8 (5 ounce) bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs|
|3 tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|1 large yellow onion, diced|
|1 pinch kosher salt|
|1 tablespoon brown sugar|
|4 cups chicken broth|
|⅓ cup ketchup|
|2 each bay leaves|
|1 cup sliced carrot|
|1 cup quartered baby bell peppers|
- Whisk together garlic, white parts of green onions, brown sugar, thyme, habanero, vinegar, ginger, salt, pepper, paprika, and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Make 2 cuts, about 1-inch apart, into the skin side of each thigh, perpendicular to the bone, cutting all the way down to the bone. Add chicken thighs to marinade; mix until evenly coated. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate, at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours. If possible, flip thighs several times while marinating.
- Remove chicken from marinade. Scrape off any chunks of marinade from chicken into the bowl and reserve for later.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, deep, heavy-bottomed skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the chicken all over, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to the marinade bowl; set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and a pinch of salt; cook until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon brown sugar and cook until onions are dark brown and caramelized, 3 to 5 minutes more.
- Add chicken broth, ketchup, and bay leaves to the pan; bring to a boil. Add carrots, bell peppers, browned chicken thighs, and reserved marinade.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center and sauce has reduced and thickened, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Skim excess fat that floats to the top; baste chicken occasionally with sauce.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Stir in green parts of green onions.
Calories 342.7 calories, CarbohydrateContent 13.8 g, CholesterolContent 91.3 mg, FatContent 20.2 g, FiberContent 1.4 g, ProteinContent 25.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 4.8 g, SodiumContent 1318.6 mg, SugarContent 9.6 g
BROWN STEW CHICKEN RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Millie Peartree
Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|2 tablespoons browning sauce, such as Grace|
|2 tablespoons light or dark brown sugar|
|1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce|
|1 teaspoon sweet paprika|
|1 teaspoon chile powder|
|1 teaspoon allspice powder|
|1 teaspoon garlic powder|
|4 whole bone-in, skinless chicken legs (about 3 pounds)|
|Kosher salt and black pepper|
|2 whole scallions, halved crosswise|
|4 fresh thyme sprigs|
|2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed|
|1 medium onion, sliced|
|4 garlic cloves, minced|
|1 tablespoon tomato paste|
|3 Roma tomatoes, washed and quartered|
|3 medium carrots, sliced 1/2-inch thick on a bias|
|1 quart chicken stock, plus more as needed|
|3 dried bay leaves|
|Rice, roti or naan, for serving|
- Make the marinade: Add all marinade ingredients to a large bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken: Season the chicken with 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Place chicken, scallions and thyme in the bowl with the marinade and mix to combine. Let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to overnight. (Any longer will change the texture of the chicken.) Remove chicken from the refrigerator at least 1 hour before starting to cook.
- Heat a shallow Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high. Drizzle in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add sliced onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic to pan, cook for 30 seconds or until tender, stirring to keep the garlic from scorching. Using a pair of tongs or spoon, remove onions and garlic from the pan. Place in a medium bowl and set aside.
- If needed, add more oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add chicken to the pan, letting the excess marinade drip back into the bowl, and reserving the scallions and thyme sprigs. Working in batches, sear chicken on both sides until dark brown, adjusting the heat if necessary to avoid burning the marinade, about 3 to 4 minutes total. Discard excess marinade.
- Return onions to pan. Add tomato paste and stir. Place quartered tomatoes and sliced carrots in the pan. Slowly pour in chicken stock to nearly cover. (Add more as needed.) Using your spatula, scrape off the bits from the bottom of the pan. Add bay leaves and the reserved thyme and scallions from the marinade.
- Bring to a rolling simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove thyme stems and bay leaf, and discard. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with rice, roti or naan bread.