HANDMADE LASAGNA SHEETS RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Samin Nosrat
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Yield: About 20 (13-inch-long) pasta sheets (1 3/4 pounds)
|4 cups/510 grams 00 or all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting|
|4 whole large eggs|
|5 to 6 large egg yolks|
- Mound the flour in the center of a large mixing bowl. Dig a well in the center of the mound and add the whole eggs and 5 yolks. Using a fork, beat together the eggs and begin to incorporate the flour, starting with the inner rim of the well. The dough will start to come together in a shaggy mass when about half the flour is incorporated.
- Use your fingers to continue to mix the dough. Press any loose bits of flour into the dough. If needed, add another egg yolk or a tablespoon of water to absorb all of the flour.
- Once the dough comes together into a cohesive mass, remove it from the bowl and transfer it to a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough by hand until smooth, elastic and uniform in color, 4 to 5 minutes. Wrap the dough in plastic and set aside at room temperature for at least 30 minutes (or up to 4 hours).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
- Cut off a quarter of the dough. Rewrap the larger portion and set aside. Use the heel of your hand to flatten the small piece of dough into an oval approximately the same width as your pasta machine, about 6 inches wide. Set the rollers to their widest setting and pass the dough through.
- Lay the dough out onto a lightly floured cutting board or countertop and neatly press together into halves, so it’s again about the same width of the pasta machine. Feed the pasta through again at the widest setting. Think of these first rollings as an extended kneading. Continue to fold the dough in thirds and roll it until it is smooth, silky and even-textured. Do your best to make the sheet the full width of the machine.
- Once the dough is silky and smooth, you can begin to roll it out more thinly. Roll it once through each of the next two or three settings, adding flour as needed, until the dough is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Once the pasta is about 1/4-inch thick, begin rolling it twice through the next thinner settings. As you roll, lightly sprinkle flour on both sides of the pasta to prevent it from sticking to itself.
- Roll out pasta until you can just see the outline of your hand when you hold it under a sheet, about 1/16-inch thick. (On most machines, you won’t make it to the thinnest setting.)
- Cut pasta into sheets, about 13 inches long. Dust the sheets lightly with flour, stack on the prepared baking sheet and cover with a clean, lightly dampened kitchen towel. Repeat with remaining dough.
BARILLA NO-BOIL LASAGNA RECIPE – FOOD.COM
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours
Yield: 12 serving(s)
|1 (9 ounce) box barilla no-boil lasagna noodles|
|1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese|
|4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese|
|1/2 cup parmesan cheese (optional)|
|1 lb ground beef or 1 lb sausage, browned|
|2 (24 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce or 2 (24 ounce) jars pasta sauce|
|parsley (to garnish)|
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In bowl, combine beaten eggs, ricotta cheese and TWO cups of the mozzarella cheese and parmesan.
- If you choose not to use the parmesan, just add more mozzarella.
- Set aside.
- In a 13X9X3 pan, spread 1 cup of sauce on bottom of pan.
- Layer in the order, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles (they will overlap), then 1/3 part of the ricotta cheese mixture, half the browned meat, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, and 1 cup of spaghetti sauce.
- Next layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, 1/3 part of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1 1/2 Cups sauce.
- Next layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture and remained meat, 1 cup of sauce.
- For top layer, 4 uncooked lasagna noodles, remaining sauce, and remaining 1 cup mozzarella.
- Bake covered with foil for 50-60 minutes.
- Uncover and continue cooking until all the cheese is melted on the top (about 5 minutes).
- Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
- If you are using a 13X9X2 pan—just make 3 layers to avoid boiling over.
Calories 322.8, FatContent 21.2, SaturatedFatContent 10.9, CholesterolContent 106.2, SodiumContent 553.8, CarbohydrateContent 10.4, FiberContent 1.6, SugarContent 6, ProteinContent 21.6