EASY HOMEMADE VEGETABLE SOUP
Provided by: Adam and Joanne Gallagher
Total time: 40 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Yield: Makes about 8 cups of soup or 4 to 6 servings
|3 tablespoons olive oil|
|2 cups chopped onion (1 medium)|
|1 ½ cups chopped carrot (3 to 4 carrots)|
|1 ½ cups chopped celery (2 to 3 stalks)|
|2 tablespoons tomato paste|
|4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)|
|3/4 teaspoon ground fennel seed|
|1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper|
|1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste|
|1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional for heat)|
|1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their liquid|
|6 cups stock or broth, see our ultra-satisfying veggie broth or homemade chicken stock|
|2 cups chopped potato (2 medium)|
|3 to 4 heaped cups chopped or shredded cabbage|
|2 bay leaves|
|1 cup frozen peas|
|1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar or fresh lemon juice, optional|
- Heat the oil in a stockpot pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring often until the vegetables have softened and the onions are translucent; 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, fennel, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the red pepper flakes. Cook, while stirring, for one minute.
- Pour in the canned tomatoes and their juices as well as the stock/broth.
- Add the potatoes, cabbage, and bay leaves. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil. Partially cover the pot with a lid, and then reduce the heat to maintain a low simmer.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes, and other vegetables are tender. Add the frozen peas and cook for five more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and remove the bay leaves. Stir in the cider vinegar (or lemon juice). Taste and season with more salt, pepper or vinegar. Serve.
ServingSize 1 cup, Calories 137, FatContent 5.7g, SaturatedFatContent 0.8g, CholesterolContent 0mg, SodiumContent 677.5mg, CarbohydrateContent 20.3g, FiberContent 4.9g, SugarContent 7.5g, ProteinContent 3.2g
SOUP RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Good Food team