HARISSA-SPICED TOMATO SAUCE | ALLRECIPES
|1 cup tomato sauce|
|2 tablespoons harissa|
|2 tablespoons olive oil|
|1 tablespoon garlic paste|
|½ teaspoon caraway seeds|
|½ teaspoon ground coriander|
- Combine tomato sauce, harissa, olive oil, garlic paste, caraway seeds, and coriander in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- Simmer until sauce has started to thicken, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for 15 minutes for flavors to develop.
Calories 44.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 2 g, FatContent 3.6 g, FiberContent 0.5 g, ProteinContent 0.4 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.5 g, SodiumContent 244.5 mg, SugarContent 1.2 g
HARISSA TOMATO SAUCE – PEPPERSCALE
Provided by: Matt Bray
|3 tomatoes (large, chopped)|
|6 cloves garlic (minced)|
|1 onion (medium, diced)|
|1/4 cup olive oil|
|1/4 cup sambal oelek|
|1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin|
|1 1/2 teaspoons ground caraway|
|1/2 teaspoon ground coriander|
|1 teaspoon chili powder|
|1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (to taste)|
|Salt and pepper (to taste)|
- In a pan over medium heat, heat the oil, then add the onions, sambal oelek, garlic, cumin, caraway, coriander, and chili powder. Stir the onions and spices, until the onions are softened/translucent (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and stir to combine. Allow the mix to simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and cover. Allow the ingredients to rest, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Uncover and pour the mix into a blender or large bowl (if using a hand held food processor). Blend/process the mix until smooth.
- Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, or for best flavor allow the harissa tomato sauce to chill in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
SPICY FISH IN CHERRY TOMATO AND HARISSA SAUCE | TASTEMADE
Provided by: Tastemade
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
|⅓ cup vegetable oil|
|10 garlic cloves, smashed|
|¼ cup tomato paste|
|1 jalapeno chile, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced|
|1 tablespoon harissa, store-bought or homemade|
|3 tablespoons sweet paprika|
|1 teaspoon ground caraway|
|1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin|
|2 pints cherry tomatoes|
|½ cup water|
|1 large bunch fresh cilantro|
|Freshly ground pepper|
|4 (7 ounce) fillets flakey white-fleshed fish (grouper, bass, snapper, and halibut are all nice) skin off if possible|
- Pour the vegetable oil into a deep large skillet.
- Immediately add smashed garlic cloves and cook on low heat just until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Watch the pan closely to make sure the garlic doesn't brown, or it will become bitter.
- Increase heat to medium-high, add the tomato paste, half the jalapeno, 1 ½ teaspoon of the harissa, and all the paprika, caraway, and cumin and stir for a minute or two, until fragrant.
- Add 1 ½ pint of the cherry tomatoes (reserve the rest for later) and season with salt.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to break down, 7-8 minutes.
- Pour in the water, bring to a simmer, cover and cook over low heat for about 30 mins, or until thick and saucy.
- Remove about 3 tablespoons of whole leaves from the cilantro bunch and reserve them for garnish.
- Tear up the rest of the bunch and toss it into the pan. Give it a minute to blend with the sauce, then taste and adjust that season with salt, pepper, and the remaining jalapeno and 1 ½ teaspoon harissa if you want more heat.
- Add the fish filet, skin side up, tucking them gently into the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining ½ pint cherry tomatoes on top of the fish. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, without stirring, until the fish is cooked, 7 to 8 minutes
- Thicker fillets will need 2-3 minutes more.
- To check doneness, make a small incision in the thickest part of the fish and make sure the flesh is opaque and flakey.
- Serve straight out of the pan, garnished with the reserved whole cilantro leaves.
BAKED EGGS AND GREENS IN HARISSA TOMATO SAUCE RECIPE | BON …
Provided by: Kendra Vaculin
Yield: 4 servings
|1 28-oz. can whole peeled tomatoes|
|½ small loaf country-style bread, torn into 2″ pieces (about 3 cups)|
|5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for serving|
|Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper|
|2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped|
|3 Tbsp. capers|
|¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes|
|3 Tbsp. harissa paste|
|1 Tbsp. double-concentrated tomato paste|
|1 bunch Tuscan kale, ribs and stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped|
|4 large eggs|
|1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt|
|Coarsely chopped parsley (for serving)|
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place tomatoes in a medium bowl and crush with your hands into small pieces. Set aside.
- Place bread in a large bowl. Drizzle 2 Tbsp. oil over and season with salt and black pepper; toss to coat. Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium ovenproof high-sided skillet over medium-high. Transfer bread to skillet, arranging in an even layer; reserve bowl. Cook bread, undisturbed, until browned and crisp underneath, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and crisp on all sides, about 3 minutes more. Return to reserved bowl.
- Pour remaining 1 Tbsp. oil into skillet. Add garlic, capers, and red pepper flakes. Cook, stirring often, until starting to soften, about 1 minute. Add harissa paste and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until garlic and capers are coated and pastes are dark red, about 1 minute. Add kale and reserved tomatoes; season with salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until kale is slightly wilted and sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir toasted bread into sauce, then make 4 wells in mixture. Crack an egg into each well and season with salt and black pepper. Transfer skillet to oven and bake mixture until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, 5–8 minutes.
- To serve, dollop yogurt on top of baked eggs, drizzle with more oil, and scatter parsley over.
HARISSA SPICED BEANS – PICK UP LIMES
Provided by: Pick Up Limes
Total time: 15 minutes
Prep time: 06 minutes
Cook time: 09 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
|1 small onion|
|1 clove garlic|
|1 yellow bell pepper|
|1½ cup cooked butter beans|
|10 cherry tomato|
|2 Tbsp harissa sauce|
|¼ tsp salt|
|⅛ tsp ground black pepper|
|½ cup unsweetened coconut yogurt|
|2 toasted pita bread|