SPINACH AND GRUYERE QUICHES RECIPE | MARTHA STEWART
Provided by: Martha Stewart
Categories: Breakfast & Brunch Recipes
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
|1 tablespoon butter|
|3 shallots, minced|
|3 bunches flat-leaf spinach, thick stems removed and leaves roughly chopped|
|Coarse salt and ground pepper|
|8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (about 2 cups)|
|1 recipe Basic Pie Dough for Spinach and Gruyere Quiches, fitted into two 9-inch pie plates|
|8 large eggs|
|3 cups half-and-half|
|1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg|
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, with racks set in upper and lower thirds. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium. Add shallots, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add as much spinach to skillet as will fit; season with salt and pepper, and toss, adding more spinach as room becomes available, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer spinach mixture to a colander. Press firmly with the back of a spoon to squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Divide spinach mixture and cheese between prepared crusts. Place each crust on a separate rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half-and-half, nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Dividing evenly, pour egg mixture into crusts.
- Arrange baking sheets on racks, and bake until center of each quiche is just set, 55 to 60 minutes, rotating sheets from top to bottom halfway through. Let quiches stand 15 minutes before serving.
Calories 564 g, FatContent 40 g, FiberContent 3 g, ProteinContent 21 g
MUSHROOM, GRUYÈRE, AND SPINACH QUICHE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Provided by: Sidney Fry, MS, RD
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: 1 wedge)
|5.6 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons)|
|¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided|
|½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided|
|¼ teaspoon baking powder|
|¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil|
|3 tablespoons ice water|
|3 center-cut bacon slices|
|¼ cup chopped shallots|
|1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms|
|2 teaspoons fresh thyme|
|2 cups packed baby spinach|
|1 cup 1% low-fat milk|
|⅓ cup half-and-half|
|3 large eggs|
|1 large egg white|
|2 ounces cave-aged Gruyère cheese, grated|
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and baking powder in a food processor; pulse 2 times to combine. Combine oil and 3 tablespoons water. With processor on, slowly add oil mixture through food chute; process until dough comes together. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 1 minute. Press dough into a 5-inch disk; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill 20 minutes.
- Roll dough into a 12-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray. Line dough with foil; arrange pie weights or dried beans on foil. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until edges are golden. Remove weights and foil; bake an additional 2 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings; crumble. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add shallots to drippings in pan; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes. Drain any excess liquid.
- Place milk, half-and-half, eggs, egg white, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender; process until smooth.
- Arrange half of cheese over bottom of crust; top with spinach mixture and remaining half of cheese. Carefully pour milk mixture over cheese. Sprinkle with bacon. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand 10 minutes.
Calories 317 calories, CarbohydrateContent 26 g, CholesterolContent 111 mg, FatContent 17.5 g, FiberContent 2 g, ProteinContent 13 g, SaturatedFatContent 5.6 g, SodiumContent 435 mg