CROCK POT DUCK | JUST A PINCH RECIPES
|1 – duck (fresh or thawed)|
|4 large carrots, peeled|
|2 – celery stocks or 2 firm apples or potatoes|
|– salt and pepper to taste|
|– 2-3 layers of cheesecloth|
|2 sprig(s) rosemary sprigs|
|1 small bunch of thyme|
|1 – tart firm apple, lemon or orange|
|1 small onion, peeled and quartered|
|– large pieces of cheese cloth (to lift the bird out of the crock)|
Slow cooker/crock pot, wire rack or aluminum foil balls or use the carrots, celery, apples or potatoes to elevate the duck inside the crock pot if you don’t have a wire rack or aluminum foil you can sit the duck on. Personally I like the veggies, they make it taste better.
- Prepare the Duck:
Remove the giblets from the duck and use elsewhere. Lay the duck on the cheese cloth making sure that it is big enough to tie on top of the duck so you can lift it out of the crock pot.
- Any large pieces of fat that are on the duck should be trimmed and saved, do not toss it out.
- Wipe the bird with a paper towel and salt and pepper it inside and out. Put a lemon/orange or apple cut in quarters along with a quartered onion inside the duck. Place your herbs inside the duck. Perhaps tie them into a bouquet garni as it will be easier to remove once the duck is cooked.
- Heat a non-stick pan and place the duck breast side down. Saute until the skin on the duck is lightly browned. Do both sides if you like. It isn’t going to change the taste of the duck, but will make it look like it’s roasted on the outside. You can also brown the duck at the end of the cooking process if you prefer, but this is easier since the duck might fall apart at the end.
- Get the cheese cloth put the duck on it. Lift the duck up and lower it into the crock pot. Set the duck breast side up onto the wrack/aluminum foil balls or the vegetables.
- Prick the skin on the breast with a fork several times to allow the fat to escape from the duck. Close the cheese cloth over the bird. Cook on high for 3 to 4 hours, or on low 6-7 hours. The internal temperature should be 185’F. If you use a wild duck it will cook faster since it has less fat.
- Check the fat level half way through cooking. If the fat is above the bottom of the duck ladle or skim it off with a turkey baster. Save the fat in a jar in the fridge and use it for other dishes.
- Remove the duck once cooked lifting it carefully to drain on a platter.
You can also put this in a 425’F oven to crisp the skin up, then drain on paper towels.
Let the duck sit for at least 10-15 minutes before carving.
Carve and serve. You can use left over duck for all sorts of things, be imaginative. Duck fried rice sounds good to me 🙂
How to cook a duck breast in a slow cooker?
Place the duck breast side down into your slow cooker on the rack or balls. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the duck reaches the internal temperature of 170. If desired, place duck on a lined cookie sheet and broil on each side to crisp skin. Watch broiler carefully as to not burn skin.
How long to cook a duck in a crock pot?
Preheat large skillet/frying pan and place the duck in, skin-side down. Cook until it has released a good amount of fat and the skin is nice golden brown. Transfer the meat, skin-side down into your slow cooker and cook on high for 1.5 hours or until to your liking (see note 4).
How to cook duck in a pressure cooker?
Proceed to slow cooker or pressure cooker steps. Add the seasoned duck to slow cooker. Cook HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8. Remove duck from slow cooker and let it rest for an additional 10 minutes before slicing. Place the trivet in pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water. Place prepared duck on the trivet. Close lid and seal valve.
Is duck A L’Orange good in slow cooker?
This slow cooker duck a l’Orange recipe has a fantastic combination of flavors. The duck combined with the citrus sauce results in a dish that is impossible to refuse seconds. By the time the duck is ready, it will have infused with the delicious citrus sauce. The meat will be so tender it will make it hard to stop eating.