PEPPERCORN SAUCE RECIPE (QUICK & EASY) | KITCHN
Provided by: Tara Holland
Categories: Pan sauce,Sauce
Total time: 1500S
Prep time: 600S
Cook time: 900S
|1 large shallot|
|1/2 bunch fresh chives|
|1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns|
|1 1/2 tablespoons whole green peppercorns in brine|
|2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided|
|1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided|
|1/2 cup brandy or cognac|
|1 cup beef stock or broth|
|1/3 cup heavy cream|
|2 teaspoons cornstarch (optional)|
- Mince 1 large shallot. Finely chop 1/2 bunch fresh chives until you have about 3 tablespoons. Place 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder and coarsely crush. Drain and rinse 1 1/2 tablespoons green peppercorns in brine.
- Place the shallot, 1 tablespoon of the unsalted butter, and 1/4 of the teaspoon kosher salt in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots have softened and are lightly browned at the edges, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Carefully add 1/2 cup brandy or Cognac. Return to medium-high heat and cook until reduced by half, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in 1 cup beef stock, green peppercorns, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black peppercorns. Bring to a rapid simmer. Simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
- Add 1/3 cup heavy cream and the remaining 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. If you would like an even thicker sauce, mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons water and add to sauce, whisking continuously. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the remaining 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Taste and add season with more kosher salt and crushed black pepper as needed. Serve sauce spooned over steak, chicken, or grilled mushrooms. Garnish with the chives.
SaturatedFatContent 8.2 g, UnsaturatedFatContent 0.0 g, CarbohydrateContent 6.3 g, SugarContent 2.6 g, ServingSize Serves 4, ProteinContent 2.3 g, FatContent 13.2 g, Calories 213 cal, SodiumContent 329.3 mg, FiberContent 0.8 g, CholesterolContent 0 mg
FILET MIGNON WITH GREEN PEPPERCORN CREAM SAUCE RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
Provided by: EPICURIOUS.COM
Yield: Serves 4
|1 3/4 cups beef stock or canned beef broth|
|3 tablespoons butter|
|4 6- to 8-ounce filet mignon steaks (each about 1 inch thick)|
|1/4 cup chopped shallots|
|1 cup whipping cream|
|3 tablespoons Cognac or brandy|
|2 tablespoons drained green peppercorns in brine|
- Boil stock in small saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 7 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper. Cook steaks to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to plate (do not clean skillet).
- Add chopped shallots to same skillet and sauté 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Add reduced beef stock, 1 cup whipping cream, 3 tablespoons Cognac and green peppercorns. Boil until mixture thickens to sauce consistency, about 6 minutes. Season sauce to taste with pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve.
CREAMY GREEN PEPPERCORN SAUCE | AMERICA’S TEST KITCHEN RECIPE
Provided by: America’s Test Kitchen
Yield: Serves 8 to 10
How do you cook with green peppercorns and heavy cream?
Whisk in 1 cup beef stock, green peppercorns, and 1/4 teaspoon of the black peppercorns. Bring to a rapid simmer. Simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add 1/3 cup heavy cream and the remaining 1 tablespoon unsalted butter and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer.
What is creamy Peppercorn sauce?
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Our Creamy Peppercorn Sauce is equal parts rich and flavorful, with a spicy bite from black peppercorns and fragrant garlic and shallot. A little bit of brandy adds a smokey finish to this peppercorn sauce that is so good, it will rival even your favorite steakhouse!
Do I need to thicken Peppercorn sauce?
Our creamy peppercorn sauce recipe doesn’t require any thickening agents, so long as you let the sauce reduce. If the sauce isn’t quite as thick as you’d like, you can easily add a touch more cream, a little bit of cornstarch, or make a quick roux by adding a mix of butter/flour to the pan. Just make sure to whisk it in well.
How do you cook with crushed peppercorns and shallots?
Cook peppercorns and shallot: Melt the butter in a skillet, add the crushed peppercorns and shallot and cook until the shallot turns light golden brown (about 2 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Simmer the sauce: Add the brandy and simmer the sauce for one minute.