CORNISH PASTY RECIPE | BBC GOOD FOOD
Provided by: Sara Buenfeld
Total time: 1 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 55 minutes
Yield: Makes 4
|125g chilled and diced butter|
|500g plain flour, plus extra|
|1 egg, beaten|
|350g beef skirt or chuck steak, finely chopped|
|1 large onion, finely chopped|
|2 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced|
|175g swede, peeled, finely diced|
|1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper|
- Rub the butter and lard into the flour with a pinch of salt using your fingertips or a food processor, then blend in 6 tbsp cold water to make a firm dough. Cut equally into 4, then chill for 20 mins.
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. Mix together the filling ingredients with 1 tsp salt. Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface until large enough to make a round about 23cm across – use a plate to trim it to shape. Firmly pack a quarter of the filling along the centre of each round, leaving a margin at each end. Brush the pastry all the way round the edge with beaten egg, carefully draw up both sides so that they meet at the top, then pinch them together to seal. Lift onto a non-stick baking tray and brush with the remaining egg to glaze.
- Bake for 10 mins, then lower oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4 and cook for 45 mins more until golden. Great served warm.
Calories 1174 calories, FatContent 68 grams fat, SaturatedFatContent 35 grams saturated fat, CarbohydrateContent 114 grams carbohydrates, SugarContent 7 grams sugar, FiberContent 6 grams fiber, ProteinContent 34 grams protein, SodiumContent 1.96 milligram of sodium
CORNISH PASTIES RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE IT
Provided by: Taste of Home
Total time: 01 hours 20 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8 servings.
|3 cups all-purpose flour|
|1-1/2 teaspoons salt|
|3/4 teaspoon baking powder|
|1 cup shortening|
|8 to 10 tablespoons ice water|
|1 pound beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces|
|1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion|
|1-1/2 cups cubed peeled potatoes (1/2-inch cubes)|
|1-1/2 cups chopped peeled turnips (1/2-inch cubes)|
|1 teaspoon salt|
|1/4 teaspoon pepper|
|4 tablespoons butter|
|1/2 cup evaporated milk, optional|
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt and baking powder; cut in shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes., Preheat oven to 375°. In another large bowl, combine beef, onion, potatoes, turnips, salt and pepper. Divide dough into 4 equal portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll 1 portion into a 9-in. circle. Mound 1-1/2 cups filling on half of circle; dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Moisten edges with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Place on a parchment-lined rimmed 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Repeat with remaining dough, filling and butter. Cut slits in tops of pasties. Bake until golden brown, 50-60 minutes. (If desired, pour milk into slits halfway through baking time.) Serve with ketchup.
Calories 556 calories, FatContent 32g fat (10g saturated fat), CholesterolContent 47mg cholesterol, SodiumContent 864mg sodium, CarbohydrateContent 46g carbohydrate (3g sugars, FiberContent 3g fiber), ProteinContent 19g protein.
HAIRY BIKERS’ CORNISH PASTY RECIPE | GOODTO
Provided by: Hairy Bikers
Categories: Lunch, Packed lunch
Total time: 1 hours 10 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
Yield: Serves: 6
|450g plain flour|
|2tsp baking powder|
|125g unsalted butter|
|2 egg yolks|
|125ml cold water|
- To make the shortcrust pastry: Place the flour, baking powder, salt, butter, and egg yolks into a food processor and blitz until the mixture forms crumbs. Slowly add the water until a ball of pastry miraculously appears – you may not need all the water. Wrap the pastry in clingfilm and leave it to chill in the fridge for an hour.
- To prepare the Cornish pasty filling: Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Roll out the pastry to the thickness you like, but be careful not to tear it. Using a dinner plate as a template, cut out 6 discs of pastry.
- Season the vegetables separately with salt and black pepper. Put the beef into a bowl and mix with the flour and some salt and pepper. Place some potatoes, swede, onions, and beef on one half of the circle, leaving a gap around the edge. Dot with butter. Brush around the perimeter of the pastry circle with the beaten egg, then fold the pastry over the vegetables and meat and seal firmly. Starting at one side, crimp the edges over to form a sealed D-shaped pasty. Brush the whole pasty with a beaten egg, then make a steam hole in the center with a sharp knife.
- Repeat to make the other pasties. Put the pasties in the oven and cook for 50 mins until they are crispy and golden and the filling is cooked through. Leave them to rest for 5-10 mins before eating.
@context https//schema.org, Calories 614 Kcal, SugarContent 3 g, FatContent 27 g, SodiumContent 5.9 g, ProteinContent 24 g, CarbohydrateContent 69 g
CHEF JOHN’S CORNISH PASTY | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Chef John
Total time: 3 hours 25 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hours 0 minutes
Yield: 4 Cornish pasties
|4 cups bread flour|
|3 ounces cold lard|
|2 ounces cold butter|
|1 ½ teaspoons salt|
|⅔ cup ice water, or as needed|
|12 ounces beef skirt steak, cubed|
|1 cup diced Yukon Gold potatoes|
|½ cup diced onion|
|⅓ cup diced turnip|
|1 ½ teaspoons salt|
|1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper|
|1 pinch cayenne pepper|
|2 tablespoons butter, cut into 8 thin slices|
|1 large egg, beaten|
|1 teaspoon water|
- Cut flour, lard, cold butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt together in a bowl with a pastry blender until mixture has the consistency of coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center and pour in ice water. Mix with a fork until mixture begins to come together; use hands to form into a dough ball.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead until dough is smooth and forms a firm ball, about 2 minutes. Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Stir steak, potatoes, onion, turnip, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl until evenly-combined.
- Beat egg and 1 teaspoon water together in a small bowl.
- Divide dough into 4 equal rounds and roll each round out to about 1/8-inch thickness and 8-inches in diameter. Brush each dough round with egg mixture.
- Place 1/4 of the steak mixture slightly off-center on each round of dough, and top steak mixture with 2 slices butter. Fold dough over steak filling to form a half moon shape and press edges together to seal. Trim excess dough from edges of pasties. Transfer pasties to the prepared baking sheet and crimp edges with the tines of a fork; poke fork 1 time into the top center of each pasty and brush tops with egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and bubbly, about 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack for 5 to 10 minutes.
Calories 499.4 calories, CarbohydrateContent 10.1 g, CholesterolContent 138.5 mg, FatContent 45.5 g, FiberContent 1.3 g, ProteinContent 12.9 g, SaturatedFatContent 22 g, SodiumContent 1920.9 mg, SugarContent 1.4 g