RICE CONGEE SOUP (JOOK) RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Provided by: Shirley Fong-Torres
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
|9 cups water|
|1 cup uncooked long-grain rice|
|2 teaspoons salt|
|1 fresh turkey wing (about 1 pound)|
|1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger (about 1/4 ounce)|
|Chopped green onions (optional)|
|Minced fresh parsley (optional)|
|Julienne-cut peeled fresh ginger (optional)|
|Low-sodium soy sauce (optional)|
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large Dutch oven, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and cook 1 1/2 hours or until soup has a creamy consistency, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Discard ginger piece. Remove turkey from soup; place on a cutting board or work surface. Cool 10 minutes. Remove skin from turkey; discard. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Chop meat into bite-sized pieces, and stir meat into soup. Divide soup evenly among 6 bowls; garnish with green onions, parsley, julienne-cut ginger, and soy sauce, if desired.
Calories 207 calories, CarbohydrateContent 24.7 g, CholesterolContent 33 mg, FatContent 5.3 g, FiberContent 0.4 g, ProteinContent 13.5 g, SaturatedFatContent 1.5 g, SodiumContent 809 mg
CHICKEN CONGEE RECIPE – NYT COOKING
Provided by: Sara Bonisteel
Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 3 to 4 servings
|3/4 cup/150 grams sushi rice|
|2 1/2 quarts/2.5 liters chicken stock|
|Soy sauce, for serving|
|Thinly sliced spring onions or scallions, green parts only, for serving|
|Finely chopped fresh ginger, for serving|
|Sesame oil, for serving|
- Rinse and drain the rice.
- Put the rice in a pot with the chicken stock and bring to boil. Give the rice a good stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking, then lower the heat and half-cover the pan. Simmer gently for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes, until the grains have burst open and you have a thick congee. Keep an eye on the pot to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom. Toward the end of cooking, when the stock has become integrated with the rice and is the consistency of oatmeal, season lightly with salt to taste.
- Serve the congee with a sprinkling of soy sauce, spring onion and ginger and a few drops of sesame oil to taste.
@context http//schema.org, Calories 351, UnsaturatedFatContent 5 grams, CarbohydrateContent 51 grams, FatContent 7 grams, ProteinContent 18 grams, SaturatedFatContent 2 grams, SodiumContent 1482 milligrams, SugarContent 9 grams
CHICKEN CONGEE (鸡粥) | MADE WITH LAU
Provided by: Made With Lau
Total time: 60 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
|1 rice cup white rice|
|12 oz chicken|
|8 cups water|
|0.5 oz ginger|
|2 pieces green onion|
|2 tsp cornstarch|
|1 tbsp oyster sauce|
|2 tbsp water|
|0.5 tsp chicken bouillon|
|2 tbsp vegetable oil|
|1 tsp salt|
|1 tsp chicken bouillon|
- Wash rice in a bowl:
- Start boiling water. Chop ginger into thin slices, and then into thin strips. Chop a few strands of cilantro and green onion into small pieces.
- Cut the chicken into thin slices and place it in a bowl to marinate.
- Pour the boiled water from earlier into a pot, set on high heat, and wait for the pot to boil before adding our rice. It’s important not to add the rice before the pot starts boiling.
- Once the pot is boiling again, we’ll partially cover the pot and let it cook at medium heat for 25 minutes.
- Once we’ve hit 25 minutes, we can either proceed with this step or cook it for longer.
- Set the stove to high heat, and slowly add the chicken over the course of 30 to 60 seconds, stirring constantly as you go. If you add it all at once, it will clump up.
- Almost there! Add the strips of ginger, as well as salt and chicken bouillon. Stir everything around for 20-30 seconds.
- Turn off the heat, and pour the jook into your favorite bowl. Garnish with the green onions and cilantro.
How to cook congee?
Congee can be cooked in a large soup pot or, for an easier way, in a rice cooker or instant pot. Most of the instant pot and rice cooker has a congee mode. Clay pot is often used to make Cantonese rice porridge.Congee can be also made with leftover rice, which can greatly shorten the time.
What is congee-rice soup?
The ham version of the traditional Chinese rice soup known as Congee – Rice slow cooked until it breaks down to thicken the broth flavoured with ham bone. Every year, the Chinese fight over leftover Christmas ham bones to make this!
Is congee soup good for You?
The congee soup base is very basic and bland but in a good way, because it serves as the perfect, wholesome, and nutritious backdrop for the fresh ingredients of freshly chopped ginger root, iceberg lettuce, and scallions (green onion). The fine salt and white pepper are added when serving and then mixed in.
How do you make Chinese congee sauce?
For savory congee Marinate pork slice with a small pinch of salt, pepper and cooking wine. Sprinkle salt, white pepper and shredded ginger shreds. Add century eggs and continue cooking for 5 minutes over slow fire. Mix cornstarch with the pork slice. Serve with chopped Zha-cai and chopped scallions.