COLOMBIAN ARROZ CON POLLO: CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPE – TABLESPOON …
|4 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped in small pieces|
|3 tablespoons canola oil|
|1 large red pepper, chopped|
|1 large yellow pepper, chopped|
|1 large green pepper, chopped|
|1 garlic clove, crushed|
|1 medium onion, chopped|
|3 cups of rice|
|5 cups of water|
|2 cups of mixed veggies in pieces (carrot, peas, beans, yellow corn)|
|1 chicken bouillon cube|
|1 packet of seasoning with saffron|
|Salt to taste|
- Heat oil in a large pot over low heat. Stir-fry the chopped peppers, garlic and onion, and stir until they’re golden brown.
- Add 3 cups of rice; remember to stir everything well.
- Add 5 cups of water, the chopped veggies, chicken breast, bouillon, seasoning and salt. Stir and let cook at medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until the rice dries.
- Once rice has absorbed all the water, cover the pot and cook at low heat for 10 to 15 minutes until the rice is soft.
ServingSize 1 Serving
ARROZ CON POLLO, LIGHTENED UP (LATIN CHICKEN AND RICE)
Provided by: Gina
Total time: 55 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
|8 skinless chicken thighs|
|1 tbsp vinegar|
|2 tsp Sazon (homemade or Badia Sazon Tropical)|
|about 1/2 tsp adobo powder (Goya)|
|about 1/2 garlic powder|
|3 tsp olive oil|
|1/4 cup cilantro|
|3 cloves garlic|
|2 tbsp bell pepper|
|1 medium vine tomato (diced)|
|2 1/2 cups enriched long grain white rice|
|4 cups water|
|1 chicken bouillon cube|
|kosher salt to taste (about 2 tsp)|
- Season chicken with vinegar, 1/2 tsp sazon, adobo and garlic powder and let it sit 10 minutes.
- Heat a large deep heavy skillet on medium, add 2 tsp oil when hot.
- Add chicken and brown 5 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Place onion, cilantro, garlic, scallions and pepper in mini food processor. Add remaining teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet and sauté onion mixture on medium-low until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato, cook another minute. Add rice, mix well and cook another minute.
- Add water, bouillon (be sure it dissolves well) and remaining sazon, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Taste for salt, should taste salty enough to suit your taste, add more as needed.
- Add chicken and nestle into rice, bring to a boil. Simmer on medium-low until most of the water evaporates and you see the liquid bubbling at the top of the rice line, then reduce heat to low heat and cover. Make sure the lid has a good seal, no steam should escape (You could place a piece of tin foil or paper towel in between the lid and the pot if steam escapes).
- Cook 20 minutes without opening the lid. Shut heat off and let it sit with the lid on an additional 10 minutes (don’t peak!!!) Fluff with a fork and eat!
ServingSize 1 cup rice plus 1 thigh, Calories 410 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 47 g, ProteinContent 33.5 g, FatContent 8 g, SaturatedFatContent 2 g, CholesterolContent 140 mg, SodiumContent 655 mg, FiberContent 1 g, SugarContent 0.5 g