THAI SHRIMP AND CLAM CURRY RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Susan Forbes Marden
Categories: Thai Recipes
Total time: 45 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
|2 tablespoons peanut oil|
|1 large onion, halved and sliced lengthwise|
|1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced lengthwise|
|1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger|
|2 cloves garlic, minced|
|1 teaspoon red chile paste, or more to taste|
|1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk|
|4 large fresh cherrystone clams, scrubbed|
|¼ cup chicken broth, or more as needed|
|1 fresh lime|
|1 teaspoon fish sauce|
|1 teaspoon brown sugar|
|3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, divided, or more to taste|
|12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined|
- Heat peanut oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and red bell pepper; saute until softened, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Add ginger and garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in red chile paste and coconut milk. Add the clams and simmer until flavors combine, 3 to 5 minutes. If curry appears too thick, stir in chicken broth.
- Finely grate zest from the lime. Stir half of the zest into the curry along with fish sauce and brown sugar. Squeeze some lime juice into the curry. Stir in half of the basil and shrimp; simmer curry until shrimp are opaque and cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes. Thin the curry with more chicken broth if needed.
- Scoop clams out of the curry, draining their juice back into the saucepan, and discard. Mix in remaining lime zest and basil before serving.
Calories 349.8 calories, CarbohydrateContent 13.4 g, CholesterolContent 97.4 mg, FatContent 28.6 g, FiberContent 3.1 g, ProteinContent 14 g, SaturatedFatContent 19.9 g, SodiumContent 291.4 mg, SugarContent 5.1 g
THAI-STYLE CLAM CURRY
Provided by: John Vincent and Rebecca Seal
Total time: PREP: 15 minutesINS COOK TI minutesE: 17 minutesINS
|1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil|
|1 onion, finely sliced|
|A pinch of salt|
|1 stick of lemongrass, outer layer and hard stem removed, finely chopped|
|2 cloves of garlic, crushed|
|2 red chillies, finely chopped|
|2 heaped teaspoons nam prik pao (Thai roasted chilli paste)|
|400ml full-fat coconut milk|
|2 teaspoons fish sauce, or more to taste|
|6 lime leaves, torn|
|½ teaspoon tamarind paste or concentrate|
|1kg fresh live clams|
|A handful of Thai basil leaves (optional)|
|Lime wedges, to serve (optional)|
|Steamed rice or Thai noodles, to serve|
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based pan with a lid, set over a medium heat.
Add the onion and salt and cook for about 8 minutes, until softened.
Add the lemongrass, garlic and chilli, and cook for 1 minute, then add the nam prik pao and stir well.
Shake the can of coconut milk well then add to the mixture with the fish sauce, lime leaves and tamarind (be careful not to add too much tamarind as it will overwhelm everything, given the chance). Gently bring up to a simmer, then taste – the broth should be spicy, savoury and tangy. Add more fish sauce, if needed, remembering that the clams will bring their own salty-sweetness in a moment.
Increase the heat and bring the curry to a merry simmer. Tip the clams into the pan and cover with the lid. Cook for 3½ minutes, giving the pan a firm jiggle once or twice. Remove the lid and discard any clams that have remained closed. Stir through half of the Thai basil leaves, if using.
Serve the clams and their wonderful curry broth in shallow bowls, with rice or noodles on the side. Top with the rest of the Thai basil leaves and give each diner a wedge of lime to squeeze over, and a spoon.
Recipe extracted from LEON Happy Curries by Rebecca Seal and John Vincent (€19.53) published by Octopus. Photography by Steven Joyce.
SPAGHETTI WITH ARUGULA & CLAM SAUCE RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Provided by: Devon O’Brien
Categories: Healthy Clam Recipes
Total time: 30 minutes
|8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti (see Tip)|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|½ cup chopped onion|
|4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced|
|¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper|
|1 (10 ounce) can whole clams|
|¼ cup dry white wine|
|Zest and juice of 1 lemon|
|1 tablespoon butter|
|⅛ teaspoon salt|
|4 cups baby arugula|
|Grated Parmesan cheese|
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add clams and their juice, wine, lemon zest and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer. Adjust heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in butter and salt. Add the hot pasta and toss to coat. Add arugula and toss until slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Serve with Parmesan, if desired.
Calories 397 calories, CarbohydrateContent 50 g, CholesterolContent 64 mg, FatContent 14 g, FiberContent 6 g, ProteinContent 21 g, SaturatedFatContent 4 g, SodiumContent 460 mg, SugarContent 4 g