CHICKEN FRIED STEAK WITH GRAVY RECIPE | REE DRUMMOND | FOOD …
|1 1/2 cups whole milk|
|2 large eggs|
|2 cups all-purpose flour|
|2 teaspoons seasoned salt|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|3/4 teaspoon paprika|
|1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper|
|3 pounds cube steak (tenderized round steak that’s been extra tenderized)|
|1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil|
|1 tablespoon butter|
|1/3 cup all-purpose flour|
|3 to 4 cups whole milk|
|1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|Mashed potatoes, for serving|
- For the steak: Begin with setting up an assembly line of dishes. Mix the milk with the eggs in one; the flour mixed with the seasoned salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, paprika and cayenne in another; and the meat in a third. Then have one clean plate at the end to receive the breaded meat.
- Work with one piece of meat at a time. Sprinkle both sides with kosher salt and black pepper, then place it in the flour mixture. Turn to coat. Place the meat into the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Finally, place it back in the flour and turn to coat (dry mixture/wet mixture/dry mixture). Place the breaded meat on the clean plate, then repeat with the remaining meat.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter. Drop in a few sprinkles of flour to make sure it’s sufficiently hot. When the butter sizzles immediately, you know it’s ready. (It should not brown right away, if it does, the fire is too hot.) Cook the meat, 3 pieces at a time, until the edges start to look golden brown, about 2 minutes each side. Remove the meat to a paper towel-lined plate and keep them warm by covering lightly with another plate or a sheet of foil. Repeat until all the meat is cooked.
- After all the meat is fried, pour off the grease into a heatproof bowl. Without cleaning the skillet, return it to the stove over medium-low heat. Add 1/4 cup of the grease back to the skillet and allow it to heat up.
- For the gravy: When the grease is hot, sprinkle the flour evenly over the grease. Using a whisk, mix the flour with the grease, creating a golden-brown paste. Add more flour if it looks overly greasy; add a little more grease if it becomes too pasty/clumpy. Keep cooking until the roux reaches a deep golden brown color.
- Pour in the milk, whisking constantly. Add the seasoned salt and black pepper to taste and cook, whisking, until the gravy is smooth and thick, 5 to 10 minutes. Be prepared to add more milk if it becomes overly thick. Be sure to taste to make sure gravy is sufficiently seasoned.
- Serve the meat next to a big side of mashed potatoes. Pour gravy over the whole shebang!
What is the origin of chicken fried steak?
The origin of chicken fried steak is somewhat debatable. It is similar to the South American dish known as milanesa – a breaded filet of veal, chicken, pork or beef – introduced to the continent by Italian immigrants during the 1860s.
How to cook chicken fried steak?
Chicken fried steak is prepared by taking a thin cut of beefsteak and tenderizing it by pounding, cubing, or forking. It is then immersed in egg batter and dredged in flour to which salt, pepper, and often other seasonings have been added (called breading ).
How to cook steak with flour and eggs?
Mix dry ingredients – In a shallow bowl, mix together the ¾ cup of flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Mix milk and eggs – Then in a separate shallow bowl whisk together the eggs and buttermilk. Dip steak in dry and wet mixtures – Then dip and coat the steaks in the flour mixture.
What is chicken fried steak made of?
Chicken fried steak (similar to country fried steak) is an American breaded cutlet dish consisting of a piece of beefsteak (tenderized cube steak) coated with seasoned flour and pan-fried.