MEXICAN TAMARIND CANDY RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
Provided by: Lenora Sikes
Categories: Mexican Recipes
Total time: 4 hours 45 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Yield: 50 servings
|1 pound tamarind pods, peeled|
|1 cup water|
|1 orange, peeled and segmented|
|4 cups white sugar|
|4 tablespoons chile-lime seasoning (such as Tajin®), or more to taste|
|1 tablespoon butter|
- Bring tamarind pulp, water, and orange to a boil in a pot; continue to boil for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Pour tamarind mixture into a colander placed over a large bowl. Mash and scrape against the side of the colander until all the juice and pulp drips into the bowl. Dump remaining seeds into a strainer and repeat the process; remove the outer casing around the seeds by hand and toss out the seeds.
- Blend outer casings with juicy pulp in an electric blender.
- Return mixture to the large pot and add sugar, Tajin®, and butter. Bring to a soft boil, stirring constantly. Heat to 240 degrees F (115 degrees C) or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from water and placed on a flat surface.
- Remove from heat and let cool, about 2 hours.
- Fill a pastry or plastic sandwich bag with the candy mixture and squeeze onto plastic spoons. Place plastic spoons onto a cookie sheet and chill until firm, about 1 hour. Coat with more Tajin® if desired, wrap with plastic, and close with a twist tie.
Calories 85.7 calories, CarbohydrateContent 21.7 g, CholesterolContent 0.6 mg, FatContent 0.3 g, FiberContent 0.5 g, ProteinContent 0.3 g, SaturatedFatContent 0.2 g, SodiumContent 100.1 mg, SugarContent 16 g