BORSCHT (BARSZCZ CZERWONY) – AUTHENTIC POLISH RECIPE – EATING …
Provided by: Edyta
Total time: 70 minutes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
|4 Carrots (medium size)|
|1 Parsnip (medium size)|
|1/2 Celery root (If it's big then 1/4 will be enough)|
|4 sprig Parsley|
|1 cup Dried Porcini Mushrooms|
|2 Bay leaves|
|4 whole Allspice|
|6 Beets (medium size)|
|1 Apple (any kind, sliced with the skin)|
|3 cloves Garlic (peeled)|
|2 tbsp White Vinegar (+ more if needed)|
|1 tbsp Lemon Juice (freshly squeezed)|
|2 teaspoon Sugar (+ more if needed)|
|2 tbsp Salt (+ more if needed)|
|1/4 teaspoon Marjoram (dry)|
|Freshly ground pepper (to taste)|
- Place dry mushrooms in a bowl and cover them with hot boiling water. Let them soak for 5 minutes.
- Peel, wash and cut into chunks, your vegetables (carrots, parsnip, celery root, leeks, and parsley);
- Place your vegetables and soaked mushrooms* (see notes below) in the large pot, cover with 10 cups of water, add a tablespoon of salt, bay leaves, and allspice and boil for about 30 minutes, uncovered;
- Prepare beets – peel them and slice in 1/2 inch slices; peel your garlic and slice the apple;
- Add beets, garlic, apple, and spices (salt, sugar, and marjoram) to the vegetable broth. At this time add 1 tablespoon of vinegar and 1 tablespoon of lemon to preserve the beautiful color from the beets. Cook it for another half hour, uncovered;
- Add the remaining vinegar, and adjust seasoning with vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper, as needed.
- Discard all the vegetables and use a strainer to pour your borscht either into mugs to drink or to bowls to be served with mushroom pierogi.
Calories 107 kcal, CarbohydrateContent 25 g, ProteinContent 2 g, SodiumContent 1859 mg, FiberContent 5 g, SugarContent 11 g, ServingSize 1 serving
RECIPE: POLISH-STYLE BEET SOUP | WHOLE FOODS MARKET
Provided by: WHOLEFOODSMARKET.COM
Total time: 1 hours 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
|6 medium beets, scrubbed, divided|
|6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth|
|1 yellow onion, chopped|
|2 teaspoons caraway seeds|
|1 tablespoon red wine vinegar|
|1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt|
|1/2 teaspoon sugar|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill|
|1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives|
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wrap 3 of the beets in foil and place on a small baking sheet.
- Roast until tender, about 1 hour.
- Let cool, then unwrap beets and rub off skins with a paper towel.
- Halve and thinly slice.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop remaining 3 beets and place in a large saucepan.
- Add broth, onion and caraway seeds.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook at a gentle simmer until broth is deeply colored and beets are very tender, about 50 minutes.
- Strain broth and discard solids. Wipe out the pan, then return broth to the pan.
- Add reserved sliced beets to the pan and stir in vinegar, salt and sugar.
- Reheat if necessary and serve sprinkled with dill and chives.
Calories 60 calories, FatContent 0 grams, SaturatedFatContent 0 grams, CholesterolContent 0 milligrams, SodiumContent 560 milligrams, CarbohydrateContent 11 grams, ProteinContent 1 grams